Chapter 8

AUTHORS NOTE: I've decided I'm gonna start posting chapters on Mondays and Fridays. Hope you guys are enjoying this story and I wanna say thank you for the votes and the reads! <3

We leave the warehouse and stay in a nearby motel, me getting my own room while Sam and Dean share. I don't head outside to stare at the stars this time, I just lay in bed and stare at the ceiling. I feel a little drowsy and am about to give in to sleep when I'm awoken by the sensation of wind blowing through the room. I look to see a shadow standing in front of the door.

"Cas?" I call out. The shadow stumbles forward and falls to the ground.

"Yes," he replies weakly. I jump out of bed, flip a couple of lights on, and rush to Castiel's side. I can see the slight bruising on his face in the dim light.

"What happened to you?" I ask, helping him walk over to the bed.

"It's been rough trying to bring order back to Heaven," he replies. I sit him down on the bed and assess his injuries: nothing major, just a cut and a few bruises here and there. I walk to the bathroom and bring back a damp washcloth to clean the small cut on the side of Castiel's face.

"I'm glad you're okay," I say to him with a small smile. Castiel smiles back, but his smile fades when he sees the bruise that Sam left on my wrist from a couple days before.

"Who did this to you?" he asks. Should I tell him the truth, or should I cover for Sam? Chances are, he'll probably know that I'm lying or he'll find out from Dean.

"Don't worry about it. It's just a small bruise. Nothing to get worked up about," I reply, trying to dodge the question.

"Please tell me. I can't let you get hurt. I have to protect you," he replies and looks me in the eyes. His eyes are shining, and I can see the desperation that he has in wanting to know the truth.

"It was Sam," I admit. Castiel starts to stand, but I pull him back down beside me on the bed. "Listen, you don't need to beat him up or anything. That's sweet that you would confront him for me, but I promise you, it's nothing that you need to worry about. Okay?"

Castiel takes my face in his hands, "Okay," he replies. He smiles at me for a moment then kisses me softly. I kiss him back and deep down I know that I want more to happen, but in that instant, I forget that there are two guys in the room beside mine that would come bursting through the door. I sit there with Castiel, who even with the injuries on his face, still looks amazing. If only I was able to do that, but that might be his angel powers.

"I want you to tell me next time he hurts you. Promise me that you will." I stare at Castiel, I'm not sure if I should promise him that.

"You realize Sam isn't Sam, right?"

"That doesn't matter. No one is allowed to hurt you...because I'm always going to protect you. I don't care that you said not to save you anymore, but, Olivia, I can't go on without you. You may not realize this, but I can't survive knowing that I wasn't able to save you."

"Cas, don't--"

"No, Olivia, I want you to listen to me. You say that you owe me your life, but it's really vice versa. I owe you my life because I love you. I want to be able to help you. It hurts inside knowing that you don't feel the need to go on," why would he need to go there, "I can assure you that you have every reason to keep going."

I get up and stand in front of him while he stays seated on the bed. "What would that be then?" I ask, folding my arms.

He stands up and takes hold of my hands. "You save people's lives, Olivia. Wouldn't that be reason enough?"