Prologue

The cold rain batted against the giant wolf's fur

The cold rain batted against the giant wolf's fur. The darkness enveloped the forest, making it nearly impossible to see the trees to the human eye. The wolf snapped toward the threat, baring it's glistening teeth. The young woman dodged, baring her own teeth in warning. Her bright red eyes aglow, she spoke through clenched teeth.

"I've no quarrel with your kind."

The giant wolf snarled. His black body lower to the ground, ready to pounce at a moment's notice. The rest of the pack circled the woman, anticipating her moves. The woman was crouched in a fighting stance, but made no other moves. Her eyes flicked around, calculating the wolves' movements. She was painfully aware that the child was hiding in the tops of the trees. The russet, red wolf got a little closer, sniffing slightly and froze.

"Sam, she's human," Jacob informed, speaking through their telepathic minds.

"What? Her eyes are red!" Leah yelled, the small, gray wolf huffed in disbelief. 

"Her heart does beat. Listen," Jacob said.

The pack stilled and heard the faint sound of her fluttering heart. It was not a normal heartbeat, it almost sounded like the wings of a small bird. The flashes of lighting tore across the sky, lighting the area on which this stand off took place. The woman's face was dirty, her tattered clothes hung loosely, and her breathing as calm as could be. Her round, doe-like eyes still shone red.

The child watched with fear as she sat in the tops of the trees. The branches were swaying in her line of sight, so she decided to move to get a better view. Her left foot slipped on a wet spot and she fell to the ground with a squeal. The wolves were startled by it and one of them instinctively advanced the child.

"No!" The woman shrieked.

The woman leaped over the wolf that was advancing, dragging it's large head to the ground. She landed with grace, crouched over the small child. A pair of huge wings unveiled themselves from behind the woman's back with a loud, thudding swoosh. Her wings streched upward, twisting them slightly and vigorously, a sign of warning. She let out a god awful noise that echoed through the forest. The sound was deadly and gut-wrenching, a sound that was a mixture between a pterodactyl and an eagle.

The entire pack backed away, aware of her warning. Sam, the alpha, whined at the creature. He had no idea what to make of this.

"You will not touch my daughter," the woman said loudly. Her voice was light and a little breathy, but it held authority.

They have traveled far too long to be killed in this manner. She scooped up the shaking child and started to flap her wings. She soared high into the sky, heading north. She knew she was in Forks, Washington. She needed to find her best friend.

She needed to find Bella.