Chapter 21; Murderer

Phoenix had been flying for God knows how long. She had noticed that the sun had set and risen quite a few times now. She had no idea what day it was, nor did she care. All she could think about was Angel. Her baby, broken. All because she couldn't keep her anger under control.

Phoenix landed atop one of the mountains. She huffed, plopping down on her bottom. She was tired, exhausted even. The muscles in her wings ached. As she gazed across the top of the vast forest, she felt a tingle of peace. Watching the tops of the trees sway in the wind, it reminded her of the sea. A dark, green sea.

A sudden rustle snapped her out of her peace of mind. She saw a giant, black wolf making his way toward her. What on earth is he doing all the way up here?

"Sam," Phoenix acknowledged, then went back to watching the green sea.

Sam stopped a couple yards away, cocking his large head to the side. He was curious why she was out here, and not with her mate and daughter. Sam plopped down on his hind legs. Phoenix sighed heavily.

"Angel can't fly anymore, Sam. We had to cut off her wings." Sam's eyes widened. "And... it's my fault," Phoenix finished in a whisper.

Sam huffed out in distaste.

Phoenix chuckled. "It is my fault. If I hadn't overreacted, Angel wouldn't have followed me."

Sam seemed to be thinking long and hard about something. He finally hopped up, trotting behind a boulder. Sam stepped back out in his human form, dressed in only khaki, cargo shorts.

"We need to talk about something," he said gravely.

"Okay," Phoenix said cautiously.

Sam sighed, taking a seat next to Phoenix.

"Edward and Bella are back," he said after a while.

Phoenix furrowed her brows. "They're back kind of early."

Sam nodded, then blurted out, "Bella's pregnant."

Phoenix whipped her head to Sam, eyes as wide as saucers. "What?"

Sam nodded hesitantly. "We have to get rid of it." He then looked away from her, the glare she gave actually frightened him.

"Get rid of it?" She repeated menacingly.

"Look, Phoenix. It's our duty to protect the humans. That thing is a monster-"

Phoenix shot up to her feet, her wings fluttering restlessly. "It's just a baby!"

Sam jumped to his feet as well, shuddering slightly. "It's half vampire, Phoenix! Who's to say that it won't throw a tantrum and slaughter the whole city?"

"What the hell happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'?"

"We can't know! It's best to just get it out of the way now," Sam sighed.

Phoenix grunted in anger, pacing back and forth. She shook, she breathed heavily. What the hell? What was going to happen? Were they just gonna wait until the baby is born and then kill it? Why are they so willing to kill a baby? They want to do it now?

She stopped. They want to do it now. She slowly turned to face Sam, her irises clouded over a violent red. "You're willing to kill Bella."

Sam didn't answer.

"The Cullens won't allow that. I won't allow that," Phoenix searched his eyes. "But you already know that. You know it's going to come to a war, Sam."

"It's what needs to be done."

Phoenix scoffed. "Don't act like you're not thrilled by the idea of killing the Cullens. If you're going to fight them, you're going to fight me. You know this."

"I know," Sam looked to the ground. Phoenix could feel the guilt radiating from him.

"Are you really going to do that to Angel?" Phoenix demanded. She knew it was a low blow, but she had to try. She didn't want there to be a fight. "She's going to lose everything."

Sam dared to look her in the eye, and immediately regretted it. He had never seen her eye change any other color than red. But now, as his guilt buried itself deeper, his throat tightened at the sight of her royal blue eyes. The bright, white sunlight that bounced off the snow made her irises, and tears, shimmer delicately.

He swallowed, his eyes gluing to his feet. "I'm
...sorry, Phoenix." He could barely manage out the words.

Phoenix closed her eyes, letting the tears slip down her cheeks. "Me, too." She opened her eyes again. Red swirled with the blue. "Murderer."

Her wings shot out, flapping them to soar straight up. She flew back to Bella, back to Angel, back home. Back to Carlisle.

《▪︎》《▪︎》《▪︎》《▪︎》《▪︎》《▪︎》

Of course Alice was waiting on the drive way, she skipped her way up to Phoenix when she touched the ground. Phoenix rolled her eyes. "You know, you're way too excitable for someone so small."

Alice scoffed, linking arms with Phoenix. "Please. You love me."

Phoenix laughed, nudging Alice with her shoulder.

"Everyone has been worried about you," Alice mentioned as they made their way up the porch steps.

"I just needed some time, Alice," Phoenix sighed.

"Oh, I know. I saw," Alice winked. "That's why I told them to not try and hunt you down."

Phoenix smiled gratefully, giving Alice a squeeze. "Thanks."

They finally made it up the stairs of the house and into the living area. Phoenix's eyes immediately found Bella and she rushed to her best friend. Bella was propped up on the couch, she strained to sit up. "Where the hell have you been?"

Phoenix fell to her knees in front of Bella, clasping her hands. "How do you always get into trouble?" Phoenix shot back with a grin. Bella grinned back.

Angel walked over to her mom, Rosalie holding her hand. Phoenix wrapped an arm around the waist of her child. "Hi, baby."

"Hi, mommy. Are you feeling better?" Angel's voice was that if a scared, little girl. Her mother could immediately sense that her daughter had lost her confidence. Phoenix gave Angel her full attention.

"Mommy is all better. You don't have to worry about me," Phoenix flashed her daughter a smile. "How's my baby?"

Angel shrugged, slowly. Her back still stung horribly, but the medication that Carlisle has been giving her has helped. "Okay."

Phoenix and Angel shared a slient conversation. Angel's bottom lip started to tremble, and she threw her arms around her mother. Angel cried softly into her mother's neck, while Phoenix cried right along with her.

It wasn't even a handful of seconds when Carlisle came out of his study, flitting down the stairs straight to Phoenix and Angel. He sat on the floor with them, his girls, and held them while they cried.