Chapter 20; Recover

A/N: So. Who's ready to spend the day with Angel? 'Cause, I am.

Angel

I was so scared.

I can't even find the right words to express how petrified I am.

I repositioned myself, only to be met with searing pain shooting down my back. I sucked in a breath, breathing through the pain. Then I remembered.

My wings are gone.

A small sob escaped my mouth before I pushed in down. I slammed my head back on the exam table, ignoring the pain that ensued. I stared at the ceiling, my chest tight. An uncomfortable feeling resonated from my bladder, making me grimace. I don't even remember that last time I went to the bathroom. I really had to pee.

A soft knock sounded, making me jump, then wincing in pain. I turned my head away from the door, maybe if I ignore it, then they'll go away. I heard a sigh.

"Angel," Alice's voice chimed. "I know you need to use the restroom. Please, let me help."

I shook my head. As if she could see me through the closed door.

"If you keep holding it, you'll get a urinary tract infection, and then Carlisle will have to come back up here," Alice sighed again.

I sighed right along with her. I guess she was right. I did really have to pee.

"Okay," I barely mumbled.

Alice slowly opened the door, a guarded smile graced her lips. She gingerly picked me up and walked me to the bathroom just across the hall. Once she set me on my feet in front of the toilet, she turned to walk out the door. I suddenly felt fear, afraid to be alone. I hated what I was about to ask, but I just really didn't want to be alone.

"Alice?" I whispered just before she closed the door. She stopped and looked at me.

"Will you... will you stay with me? Please?"

"Of course, sweetie," Alice smiled.

She stepped back inside the bathroom and shut the door. She leaned against the wall, staring off into space. I finished up and started to wash my hands.

"I'm sorry. It must be yucky for you," I say.

Alice grinned. "I've been through much more yucky things. I don't mind helping you at all."

I dried my hands and automatically reached up to be held. I scowled at myself when Alice picked me up. Once we were back in the room, Alice didn't put me down right away. I was too tired to complain.

"Do you want to lay in bed?" Alice asked me.

I just nodded.

Alice placed me on the little twin sized bed that Carlisle put in here a few days ago. I snuggled into the pillows as comfortably as I could, wincing at the pain in my back. I grabbed Alice's hand, ignoring the pain that shot through my body by the sudden movement.

"Thank you," I said.

Alice smiled, placing her free hand on top of mine. She sat on the edge of my bed.

"You're very welcome."

I looked down at the comforter, resisting the urge to cry. I had so many emotions built up, not having voiced them has made me angry and sad.

"What's wrong, Angel?" Alice asked softly.

I looked up, feeling a couple tears escape my eyes. "I... I'm really scared, Alice."

Alice's eyes softened into sadness. "I know, honey-"

"No, you don't."

Alice waited patiently. I took a deep breath.

"No one knows. No one knows what I'm going through, no one can feel what I feel. Except for Jasper, I guess," I grimaced. "I don't know what to do anymore. I can't- I can't... I can't fly anymore. I can't fly, Alice!"

I started sobbing. Hysterically. Alice rushed right next to me and took me in her arms. She held me as my body shook with anguish.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered painfully.

"I just want to forget!"

I don't know how long I cried for. I remember screaming. I remember feeling another hand, whispering. I remember seeing Jasper right before I felt extremely tired. I think he might have put me to sleep.

I dreamt of flying, I suppose even my dreams want to torture me. At least I was happy in my dreams.

-

I woke up groggy and achey. I looked out the window, seeing the sun start to set. My body was aching so much that I whimpered.

"Are you in pain?" I heard Carlisle's voice.

I nodded, not really seeing him clearly. His blurred figure moved to the i.v. bag hanging next to me. He put more fluid in.

"This should make you feel better in a few seconds," he said quietly.

Sure enough, the morphine kicked in, making me feel so much better. Carlisle turned to leave, but I didn't want him to go yet.

"Dad," I called. It still felt a little strange calling him that, but he was my dad.

He turned back, slight surprise on his face. I reached for him. He came to my side and held my hand.

"I'm sorry for telling you to leave," I sighed.

"Don't worry, sweetheart," he shook his head, smiling. "I may not know exactly what you're going through, but I understand why you wanted to be alone."

I was so happy that he wasn't upset, I would have hate to hurt his feelings.

"Where's mommy?" I asked. I hadn't seen her in a few days.

Carlisle's face fell slightly. "I'm not sure. She blames herself for what happened to you. She went out yesterday, and hasn't come back yet."

I could tell that he missed her terribly. As I was lost in thought, Carlisle was scribbling on the clipboard.

"Bella and Edward are coming home early," he commented after a bit.

"Why?"

Carlisle sighed. "Bella's pregnant."

My eyes widened. Oh my.

That's not good.

Another A/N: I realize that Angel is using an advanced vocabulary. That is intentional since she was forced to grow up so quickly.