Chapter 3; Together

Little Angel had fallen asleep, her head in Rosalie's lap in the back seat

Little Angel had fallen asleep, her head in Rosalie's lap in the back seat. The dirt and grime from the little girls' face was rubbing on Rosalie's jeans, but the blonde vampire did not care. She was too mesmerized by the child's pure white wings. As carefully as she possibly could, Rosalie grazed the wings with her fingertips. Angel's wings were soft, almost silky. The child stretched lightly, her one free wing that wasn't pinned to her back by the back of the seat extended out more, draping itself over the child's body. She snuggled closer to Rosalie, making the vampire smile even more.

Rosalie began caressing Angel's wing again. She came closer to where the wings were protruding out of her back, the feathers there were more fluffy, like a cloud. All the while, Emmett was staring at his wife fondly. He knew how much she wanted a child of her own, he felt terrible. Knowing that he couldn't give her one made him feel even more terrible.

Carlisle watched from the rearview mirror, a small smile playing in his lips. A shrill ring erupted from his cell phone, he immediately answered, not wanting to wake Angel.

"Alice," he greeted as he caught a glimpse of the caller i.d.

"I see you found Angel. Phoenix is anxious."

"Yes, she's sleeping and has no serious injuries. Just a few scrapes and bruises," Carlisle said quietly.

"Thank you so much, Carlisle," Phoenix's voice sounded, her voice shaky.

"It's no problem at all. We will be back in one more hour," Carlisle smiled at the sound of Phoenix's voice.

Carlisle ended the call and noticed Emmett staring at him. "What?"

"I'm just curious as to why you jumped at the chance to help find some girl-"

Carlisle's chest vibrated as a snarl rumbled deep within him. Emmett immediately snapped his mouth shut; Carlisle never growled at anyone in the coven. The sound stirred Angel awake and Carlisle glared at Emmett.

Angel sat up and stretched her arms and legs. She looked around at her rescuers. She sat up straight and made an announcement.

"I have to pee."

Rosalie hid her grin behind her hand, Emmett stifled a chuckle and Carlisle just smiled.

"We'll stop at the next gas station," Carlisle informed the child.

Angel nodded once and pulled her legs together to sit Indian style.

They came to a gas station just a few minutes later. Once the car was parked, Angel scrambled out. Much the the three vampires amusement, she was dancing the pee pee dance. Carlisle led her through the door and towards the bathroom.

"Would you like a few snacks?" He asked her.

Angel nodded excitedly and hurried inside the bathroom. Carlisle gave Rosalie and Emmett a pointed look and they took places to guard the door. Carlisle made his way around the snack aisle and decided on a bag of chips, a bottle of water and a small bag of M&Ms.