chapter twenty seven

He looks so lifeless on the hospital bed. If only there was something we could've done to stop this. Why didn't they see this before? How could it be too late? Why him? Why Vylad?

Vylad has never done anything to anybody. He has always wanted to make people happy even if it hurts him. Why is it always the good ones? Why not me? Or Laurance? Or Alex? Why does it have to be Vylad.

He turns to me and smiles when he hears the door shut and the sound of footsteps come closer to him. How could he be happy knowing he's dying?

"Hey," He coughs. "Y/N. What's up?"

I sit in the chair next to him ans grab his hand. He rolls his eyes playfully, and I admire the fact that he can stay positive even with everything that is happening.

He's gotten worse over the course of a few days. Lately he's said his goodbyes, and mom is in denial that he could actaully be dying. She doesn't like the idea, but none of us do either, of Vylad dying. She thinks he'll be okay, and that'll he bounce back from this. He's not.

He's said his goodbye to most people, he's not stupid. He knows he's dying. He's fighting it, but it's only for a little bit of time. He just wants to say his goodbyes. He's not strong enough to fight and win, and he's already excepted that.

"Would you open those blinds for me N/N? The sunshine is nice," I do as asked, and he chuckles. "They won't let me meditate. I don't know why though. I'm perfectly capable of doing so."

"Maybe they don't want you to burn down the hospital with the candles you use."

"I haven't burnt down ohr house yet," He comments. "Y/N, I think it's time I say my goodbye to you. I'm obviously not getting any better, and from the way everybody's acting, I'm not staying here for much longer. My fever refuses to break."

Saying his goodbyes to me. That's something I've never wanted to hear my little brother, only fifteen years old, say to me. I don't want him to say goodbye, nor do I want to see him go. He's too young. He has an entire life ahead of him. He's not even an adult yet, yet he's dying.

"I want to start off with telling you that you were the best sister I could ever ask for. Thank you for everything. You always stuck by me, and no matter how bad it got, you were always there for me. If Laurance hurts you, I'll haunt him until he dies. I have the power to do that Y/N, it's called unfinished business. I wont rest until I get my revenge-"

I cut him off, "No, don't use past tense. Laurance won't hurt me. Vylad, please..."

"Fine. Y/N, stick with music. You have a true talent. This, our little band, was only the beginning of your career. I'll be watching you. See? Future tense used there. But anyway, no matter what you do, I'll be there for you, just like you were for me. Take care of yourself, and make sure everybody else takes care of themself too. Watch over Laurance, mom and Alex for me. Watch over our brothers, Garroth can be stupid, and Zane will just egg him on. I love you so much, Y/N. Don't dwell on my death. Live life, life your life."

Vylad's POV

By this time Y/N is crying slightly. I place my hand on her shoulder pulling her closer to me. I give her a hug, and I let her cry on my body.

A knock on the door echoes throughout the room, and the door opens to reveal Alex. My last person to say goodbye to. Why did I have to save some of the hardest people to say goodbye to untill the end?

"I'm sorry, I just thought that... I can leave if you want."

Y/N sits up and wipes her eyes ans cheeks off with the back of her sleeve.

"No, no. You're fine. It's about time I leave. I'll see you later Vylad, and I love you."

She walks off after sending me a warm smile, and Alex replaces her spot on the chair.

"Hey love," She smiles meakly.

"Give me a real smile. I love when you smile. It lights up the entire room you're in," She tries to speak until I stop her. "No, don't compare yourself to my sister. If I wanted to date my sister, which I don't, I wouldn't be dating you right now. Where's your sassy comeback?"

"Out the window with your stupid, cute, words. I hate how cute you are," She crosses her arm over her chest.

"You look beautiful."

"I always look like this."

I mumble a 'beautiful' under my breath and watch as she just looks up at the TV and giggles.

Her hand slowly moves against the bed without my knowledge and grabs onto my mine. She intertwines our fingers together, and I smile.

"I love you," she mumbles.

"I love you too."

Y/N's POV

"Hey Y/N?"

I turn my attention towards Laurance. He slyly smirks as he moves closer to my ear.

"I have a confession," His breath hitting against my skin sends shivers down my spine. "Promise not to laugh?" I nod my head. "I would say I've liked you for three years now, but I'd be lying. I've loved you since last year. I love you Y/N."

I stare at him in unbelief, "Laurance... I... I need time to say it back."

"Take all the time you need."

Alex's POV

Something happens.

His breath hitches, "Alex, it's time."

I panic, "No, no, no, no! No it's not time Vylad. You have an entire life to live! What about graduating? Traveling? What about getting married and having children. And then naming our daughter Paris Rose? V... you can't go."

He sits up and kisses my lips softly. A single tear runs down my cheek, and he wipes it away. He can't be dying... I love him.

"Do it all for me. I love you, and tell everybody I love them. Thank you, and to everybody else, for such an amazing life," He moves a strand of hair out of my face, and places it behind my ear. He then caresses my cheek. "Smile love. I wanna die seeing you smile. I don't wanna see you crying."

I smile the best I can, and he smiles in return. He places his hand back down resting against his upper stomach.

"Promise me that you'll find somebody that can make you happy. Happier than I could've ever made you. Somebody who will treat you right, and like the queen you are. Never forget me, but find somebody else to love. Don't give up on love because of me. I love you so much, and I couldn't bear to watch that happen. Promise me this."

I nod my head, "I promise."

Then it happens... The long beep concluding his life. He's dead.

I begin to cry, and lay my head against his chest. The sound of the long beep dies down for me, and the sound of his heartbeat is gone. The tears continue to flow as I lay on his chest.

I look up and move the hair from his eyes. "I'm so selfish," I mumble. "V, is this my fault?"

Now I have to tell the others that Vylad Ro'meave... is dead.