Chapter 2

TUESDAY - TROUBLE 1

The next morning came crashing down on her, she didn't know that having an after school lesson was stressful, hell, just yesterday, she felt great even after the lesson but then, she woke up feeling as tired as ever. She got up, not minding how tired she was. On a normal day she would have started having double thoughts; should she keep going to the lesson and risk her beauty sleep and probably her grades. She didn't have a doubt that her lesson was a good thing, at least she didn't have nightmares, only had dreams of the lesson. She went into the bathroom, her mother's previous warnings that she had to bath hot water passing through her mind as she turned on the freezing water. She liked the way the water felt on her body the way it cooled her down. She never took long in the bathroom, always in a hurry for nothing in particular. She tied her towel under her arm pits as she found her way to her room. She put on her black cotton under wears, and her white bra. Before slipping on a pair of boxers and a singlet. She reached her cupboard and got her uniform that was hung up. She got on her white flay skirt and her blue long sleeved shirt. Her tie in hand as she strolled out of her room. She got her bag from the ironing table in the hallway where she always kept it before quietly going into her parent's room.
She tapped her mother's arm lightly. Her mother opened her eyes and smiled.
"How was your night dear?" She shrugged in reply.
"I see you are dressed for school." She bobbed her head up and down as a yes.
"Eaten?" She shook her head no.
"Why didn't you wake me? I could have made breakfast for you." She shook her head again before glaring at her mother.
"Don't give me that look Anna I might be sick but that doesn't mean I can't make you food." She gets up from the position she was laying and sat on the bed.
"My purse." She pointed at the small leather purse sitting on the stool. Anna picked it up and gave it to her. She unzipped it, and reached inside giving Anna a 200 and 100 Naira note. "Take this." She said before letting out a fit of cough making Anna look at her sympathetically. "You haven't taken breakfast, make sure you get something to eat on your way okay?" Anna nodded with a smile before taking the money and walking out.
As she stepped outside, she put her money in her breast pocket before heading for school.
As Anna walked down to school walking past the rowdy road where car parts and accessories were sold, she played a song in her head making sure to not let a hum slip. She walked carefully past the muddy road to make sure her white stockings that rested on her ankle didn't get stained. She heard whistling from the different men she passed, they were calling out to her. She put her head down avoiding their stares. They were not going to harm she knew that she just didn't like it when they stared or even worse when they touched her. She was so lost in her thought that she had not heard when that voice called out to her.
"Girl are you deaf or something?" She looked up startled to see Ruth. She shrugged, causing Ruth to roll her eyes.
"Some attitude you've got there miss." Ruth said imitating their Food and nutrition teacher. She shook her head, and they began walking in silence, with Ruth throwing in some yes and no questions once in a while.
They finally got to school, very late, that was what they got for walking as though they had nowhere to be. Of course they were to be punished, being mute didn't stop you from doing the right thing. The bell had already been rung and first period had started but they were not in class. They were upstairs in the Computer room, with some juniors and some of their class mates. Their punishment wasn't a punishment per say, all they had to do was supervise the lower classes as they cleaned the Computer Lab. It was even better because they could 'legally' miss class.
They got to class finally, to be met by Miss Faith. Anna loved that woman. Miss Faith had taken a liking to her since the first day just the way she had taken a liking to Miss Faith. During lunch, she would spend her day with Miss Faith, as she read stories most written by the teacher others recommended by her. She introduced her favorite teacher to paper chatting, in her own written words;

"you should thank me for teaching you this and many more Miss. You can finally say that you are actually a fun to be with teacher, you are now officially a cool teacher."