Chapter 23

TUESDAY - TREACHEROUS TEARS

  Monday went and Anna hadn't acknowledged her friends. Tuesday in school she hadn't even stared anyone in the eyes, not looking up to the teacher just acting like she wasn't there.
Then it was time for lesson. She contemplated skipping but decided against it when she saw Tobi in their house. It was one thing to deal with her angry sister but another thing to also deal with her stupid obnoxious once ex-boyfriend.
Kemi could do much better, but there she was, repeatedly going back and settling for the annoying boy.

She picked up her already arranged bag and headed for the door ignoring the two adults having a 'heart to heart' talk.
"Anna!!" She heard her sister call but didn't make any attempt to turn around, just stopped walking.
She wasn't angry at her sister, not because of her own misfortune, and definitely not for getting back with Toby (even though she didn't like that) but her Kemi was upset with her.

When she said she wanted Time and Space, she wasn't only wanting it from her friends, but from everybody including Kemi. Her sister obviously didn't understand her and she was left upset.

It was all shouts and yelling and ignoring and quarrels because Kemi just wanted Anna to confide in her but Anna wasn't even ready to use her voice or to speak her mind. When she would have been ready was when she would be able to spill her heart without revealing that she was about to face the same fate she did some years ago.

"You are off to lesson." She stated and Anna nodded.
"Wait, let me get something." She didn't give Anna any chance to object as she stood up to get what she wanted.
Even Tobi could feel the tension surrounding the two sisters, Anna had refused to look Kemi in the eyes and Kemi was acting like she didn't care about her sister.

When Kemi was out of earshot, Tobi spoke.
"Hi" Anna tensed at that, but said nothing not like he was even expecting her to.
"Uhmm..." Anna rolled her eyes at his awkwardness, he had every right to be awkward.
"Listen I know I'm like your least favourite person and you think your sister deserves better and it's true, she does but I really like her and I promise not to be a screw up again. I managed to get her to forgive me, but I also need you to at least give me a chance with her because I came to my senses and realised that as I hurt her, I also hurt you. So I'm very sorry for being a problematic boyfriend." He laughed at that and although Anna wanted to smile, she fought at it, just giving him a mere nod.

Kemi came right in time before the atmosphere became awkward. She didn't like that her sister was upset with her, Kemi deserved all the happiness in the world according to her she just didn't know how to offer it to her. She still had a doubt about Tobi but then he seemed to be the only one successful at giving her happiness.

"Here. In case you get hungry, you haven't been eating very much." Anna grabbed the money from her and passed her sister a hug, maybe it was a way of reassuring that she was okay even when she wasn't. She stepped back and walked away as fast as she could, almost as if the hug hadn't happened

The walk to the lesson was quite interesting to put it nicely, she had bumped into Ayo and they walked to the lesson together. Ayo was much more fun than she had imagine. She had talked all through their walk there making jokes and not for once expecting Anna to give a reply. It was almost as if she knew secretly how much Anna wanted to not communicate. At first, the mute girl was reluctant and unhappy when they had bumped into each other but as they walked and talked, she couldn't bring herself to regret walking with the chubby girl.

They ended up getting to the lesson a class later, missing English. They both parted ways, Anna going to the art class and Ayo to the Commercial class.
Mr Ken was already in class when she got in, so she hurriedly went toward the back whilst keeping her head down.