Chapter 8

TORN CLOTHES

She stood back against the shut door, trying to keep her sister out of the room and away from her wardrobe.
"Anna open this door right now,  I need to get you dressed." Kemi shouted. "Annabella Mayinka if you do not open this door right now, I will come in there, tie you to a chair and dress you up like it's your freaking wedding day." She knew that her sister was very serious but she was too scared to let her in. Besides, if she didn't open the door, her sister had no other way in. Not too long after that thought, she found herself on the floor with a big thud, the door wide open with a big bang and her sister at the mouth of the door with an evil smirk. She shuffled off the floor as quick as possible even though she looked like a dying chicken doing so. She began taking steps back, her arms stretched forth as if to keep her sister away from her. She was suddenly stopped by something wedging against her leg. She looked down to see her bed in behind her, losing her guard in the process. Next thing she knew, she was being tackled on the bed by her heavyweight sister. Her hand was held up above her head and although she struggled she couldn't break free.
"Now,  would you listen to me?" Her sister asked her. She shook her head frantically and her sister only rolled her eyes.
"I don't care, I'll talk anyway. I'm not going to dress you up like you are going for a gala even if I really want to, I would just dress you up a little better than you usually dress." Anna thought about it, she didn't want to dress anything different from normal but she also wanted to go for the lesson. She knew that she had to give in so she nodded her head as a sign of truce. The grip around hat wrist loosened and the weight on top of her body was lifted. Her sister strolled to the other side of the room where the wardrobe was and she began going through it for anything good enough to be worn.

She ended up picking a short brown flay skirt, a white crop top and cute brown sandals.
"Take this" she shoved it into the hands of the quiet girl who looked at the clothes skeptically before scrunching her nose up in disgust at the sight of the crop top.
"Don't give me that look Miss. I bought you that top months ago and you haven't for once worn it. Don't you want people to get a look at that flat tummy and it's piercing?" Anna looked down at her clothed stomach,  she did have a flat tummy that was for sure,  but she really didn't want to show it out or even her belly button piercing that not even get parents knew she had. She nodded her head to her sister and gave her a pointed look telling her to leave. The towel tightly wound around her,  became loose and she let it pool at her feet leaving her in only matching bra and panties.

She opened the door ready to head out with her bag hanging on her shoulder only to see her sister standing in front of her, a scowl on her face. She began wondering what she did again, even looked down to make sure she was wearing the right clothes. When she did confirm, she looked back up at her sister, a perplexed look on her face only to be shoved back into her room, her door shut behind her sister.

"When I tell you to braid your hair you won't listen you just let your hair go haywire. Would it be bad if you add a little bit of attachment to your hair to make it prettier? No it wouldn't but no you're acting like the student of the year, not wanting to break the school rules. Now look!" Kemi pointed at the hair on Anna's head that she had combed backward to reach just above her spine. Anna touched her head in total confusion,  she thought that her hair was okay just the way it was but apparently it wasn't.
"Have a seat Anna." Kemi gestured to the chair in front of her dressing table. She sat down there, looking at the things on the table. Apart from her perfume and cream, the rest were untouched. She began praying that Kemi didn't get a glimpse of her tiny make up kit lying carelessly on the table, and then decide that she was going to do a little make up for her.
She felt a comb going smoothly through her already combed hair and she rolled her eyes at her sister through the mirror. She felt like her hair was going to be ripped out when her sister held every strand up very tightly and used the black hair band to hold them up in a very tight ponytail. She got the hair gel from the table and made her sister's hair edges a work of art. Looking at Anna through the mirror, Kemi knew that something was missing, it wasn't the make up, no her sister looked pretty even without make up. Her eyes got a glimpse of Anna's empty ears and she knew exactly what was missing. No earrings she grabbed a pair of tiny dots earrings and quickly wore them on Anna's ears. She looked down at Anna's tummy hoping to see that the girl forgot about her piercings and left the looping accessory there but she knew Anna could never forget something like that and she was right. She stood Anna up, gave her school bag to her and ushered her out of the house not wanting to delay the girl any longer.