Chapter 38

Few weeks passed by. I distanced myself from Luiz. It was very difficult to avoid him and pretend as if I never cared. But the truth was it was eating me up inside.

I used to have dinner with him on his request but I never used to speak much. He was the one who used to talk sometimes and I either used to nod or give the shortest replies possible.

It was late in the evening and he wasn't back yet.

My phone rang.

Is it Luiz?

My spirits were awake!

But when I saw the caller ID it was a random number.

My spirits died immediately!

I lifted the call.

"Hello.", I said.

"Hello Lara, how are you darling?", she asked.

"Caroline, oh my God!", I said. I was so happy to talk to her after such a long time.

"You don't miss me, do you?", she said.

"Of course, I miss you so much. Life is boring without you.", I said.

"Then why did you not call me when you got a phone of yourself?", she asked.

"I am sorry. It didn't strike me.", I said.

"That's fine. Now that you have a phone for yourself, you can call me anytime.", she said.

"Thank you.", I said.

"Is everything going good between you and him.", she asked.

"It's fine. We are just friends and nothing else.", I said.

"Are you kidding me? Friends?", she asked.

"Yes. I do not want to make extra efforts to look desperate.", I replied.

"I see. Then handle it yourself.", she said dismissingly.

"How are things over there?", I asked her to change the topic.

"Everything is fine. But I will stay here till all the things are completely settled. So I might not come there any sooner. Moreover, I called you to tell that tomorrow is Luiz's birthday.", she said.

"What?", I asked.

Did I hear her right?

"I said tomorrow is Luiz's birthday.", she repeated again.

I was so happy. I was never this happier.

"May I know what he likes to eat?", I asked.

"He is a fitness freak Lara, he really doesn't have much choices. But he really loves Pão de queijo since childhood.", she said.

"Should I bake a cake for him?", I asked all excited.

"He didn't celebrate his birthday since last two years. So, don't let your efforts go in vain.", she said.

"But I will try to prepare something delicious and healthy.", I assured her.

"Your wish. But remember one thing, this is his first birthday after you guys are together. Just don't spoil his mood.", she said.

"Hmm.", I said.

"Okay I shall call you later. Bye.", she said and cut the call.

"Bye.", I said after she cut the call.

I was so excited! 

I have to make his birthday special. I may never get a chance to celebrate his birthday again.