Something Old

Scotty slowly opened his eyes. They felt heavy and opened after the other. When he looked around his vision was blurred but soon cleared. He was in a room with wires and needles in his arms and machines around him. Little plastic bags contained clear and coloured liquids. He put 2 and 2 together and found out he was in a hospital. The door slowly opened and he in walked his mum. She had a small smile and her eyes looked relieved of stress, a glimmer of hope.

"How are you feeling, Scotty?"

"Um, my head hurts, but I'm okay." He sighed.

"That's good." Angela nodded. The door opened again and a young man with chestnut hair and blue eyes walked in.

"How are you feeling, bud?" He kneeled down and held the edge of the bed.

"My head hurts." Scotty repeated.

"That'll happen. The pain should fade in awhile, but if it doesn't within the hour just notify me or the doctor and we'll see what we can do. Now, if you're okay with it, I'd like to ask you some questions? Is that okay?" The nurse stood up. Scotty nodded.

"What's your full name?"

"Scott Cunningham."

"How old are you?"

"16."

"When were you born?"

"9th of July 2002."

"Thanks. We're keeping you in here for the night but you'll be able to leave tomorrow. You have a concussion and fractured ankle."

"Thank you, nurse... Jake." Scott read the name tag around Jake's neck.

"No problem, I hope you feel better." And the nurse left the room closing the door behind him. Scott looked under the blankets and could see that his right foot was in a cast.

"I fractured my ankle?" He asked his mum.

"Yeah, you have a few bruised ribs too." Angels smiled sadly.

"Bones can get bruised?" Scott asked smiling a bit. Angela chuckled and it was contagious and the room was filled with laughter. it was loud and it was nice but when it stopped it was replaced with whimpers and Scott looked at his mum to see she was crying.

"Mum?" Scott put his hand on top of Angela's and she looked up. He could see the tears rolled down her cheeks and he wiped them away.

"Don't cry, you're okay." Scott tried to smile for his mum.

"It's not me, Scotty. Look at you, you're in a hospital bed with plastic wrapped around your foot."

"I think it's some type of foam." Scott suggested. Angela shook her head and smiled. She got up and slowly wrapped her arms around Scott. He rested his chin on her shoulder and sighed closing his eye. They stayed like that for a minute and Scott opened his eyes to see a movable table with a tray of food on it. He frowned and let go of Angela.

"Do I have to eat that?" He nodded to behind his mum signalling to the food. Angela looked behind her and chuckled.

"I guess not. I can get you something if you want?" Scott beamed.

"Really?" Angela nodded.

"What do you want?" 

And that's how Angela agreed to buy her son some things from their favourite bakery. She opened the door and the little bell chimed alerting the cashier that there was a costumer.

"I'll be with you in a minute." A young voice from somewhere in the bakery said. Angela waited patiently and looked through the glass that displayed the baked goods.