Joshua (Request)

Requested by Min_HaYoungg_
Is it a little too late for this? :>
****_____*****_____*****_____*****

Joshua's POV

I stood before her, holding her cheeks as I analyzed her bruises. I let out a heavy and problematic sigh. I don't know how to stop the problems surrounding her. It's getting worse each day that passes and I'm worried that one day it'll be too late to stop it.

"Give me your arms," I instructed sternly holding my palms up in front of her.

She looks up at me hesitantly, her eyes almost glimmering, begging not to force her, but she still hands her arms out obediently anyways.

I pull her sleeves up to see the familiar stray cuts sliced through her pale skin. It's evident which one's were new from the faint reddish color that surrounds it. There were unfamiliar bruises all over her arms as well. And of course her rashes due to her heat allergy that is often triggered by the jacket she wears to cover everything underneath.

Why must this happen to her? She isn't the type of person you'd expect to live such a horrendous life, but she really is living through that life of hers. I'm concerned that until this issue is taken care of, she might as well reach the point of dying. And I'm praying with all my heart that it wouldn't go that way.

"Anika," I met her gaze. The dark circles beneath her eyes hidden under her natural make up. Her eyes showed no certain emotion, but her smile remains as bright as ever. I couldn't see through her, I knew she was in pain but why is it that she's smiling so genuinely at me? My heart sunk at the sight of this. With all the courage I had built up I asked her, "Isn't it time to report him?"

"No!" She immediately declined again. I know this is too hard for her but we need to do something. She's been refusing to seek professional help to deal with her abusive father. I look at her with evident concern. "You can't!" She shakes her head in a strong defensive manner.

Sighing, I nod my head, respecting her decisions. When will the time ever come when she starts protecting herself rather than him? I stood and head to my bathroom to grab one of the emergency medical kit I stored. I held her arm out to me, trying to be as gentle as possible. I began to treat the open wounds first.

"Sorry," I apologized when she winced in pain. I added on, "There's really no painless way for this." I take out a roll of bandage before wrapping it around her cuts.

I settled beside her, wrapping my arms around her shoulder. If only it were this easy to keep her away from harm. She rests her head on my shoulder feeling at ease after everything. I could almost feel the weight of the troubles she has to carry, but I wouldn't truly know. Abused by her father, working part time 'till late at night to provide for their living expenses, balancing everything with her academics. She also has to protect her siblings. After their parents parted, she was left with her father, while her two younger siblings were with their mother. She visits them every once in awhile as they were staying in an apartment a few kilometers away. When her mother passed away, her siblings were left unattended. As the eldest, the responsibility weighed on her. She had to be there for her siblings  and keep them away from their father as much as possible. But in result she attains a constant amount of abuse. I can't even imagine how much she's been through.

I personally offered to help, but she refuses to accept it. Anika is the type of person who prefers to handle everything alone. That trait is admirable but at this point it's bothersome. It makes me feel guilty to watch her do everything by herself. As her best friend, I need to address this problem as well. We're suppose to help each other.