Nay

Even if we'll see each other very soon it's intolerable to be separated from Jason. As always, when I get up in the morning, I go straight to the window and look into his room. Unfortunately I can't see him. I sigh and suddenly feel that I have to look out through the window that looks onto the street. It's an intuition that I take up on without delay. So I go over to my other window. My glance goes down to the street and then stays fixed on an unknown man. He's got white hair and is wearing a black suit. He looks very formal. Something about his appearance disturbs me, but I don't know exactly what that is. As though mesmerised I stare through the window and see the man get into an expensive black Mercedes (E class). I have a queasy feeling but no idea why. Then my mobile rings.

"Nasya No..."

"Nay!" Jason calls out into the phone. He sounds desperate and ... he's crying. At once I'm alarmed.

I run to the other window and see Jason in his room. He's packing!

"What are you doing? Are you leaving?" I ask aghast.

"Nay, I can't talk now. You must come over straight away and help Sharon. Listen ... eh ... he simply killed her ..." He sobs and keeps packing his bag.

"Who? Who killed her?"

"Dr. Lange. He's the one responsible for my 'gift'. He infected me ... Nay, I can never see you again. If I did he'd kill you ... and he can. Your power would not work against him ... you'd have no chance. If I stayed you'd be in danger, so I'm going with him ..." I can hear by his voice that the thought is hurting him incredibly, but I don't interrupt him. "Please, help Sharon! Please! I have to go ..." He looks at me a last time. His face is wet with tears, and then I see him go.

"Jason!" I cry into the phone because I can hear that he's still on the line.

"I love you and I'll do everything you say ..." And a lot more ... I think.

"I love you too, don't forget that. I'll always love you!" And then he rings off.

Rapidly I run to the other window and see him hurrying through the front door and going to the car of the man I've just been watching on the street. He has the bag and a rucksack in his hands. Finally he gets into the back of the car without looking up again. I'm desperate when Jason drives off with the man. The man whose name he's revealed to me and which immediately reminds me of the e-mail he sent a few weeks ago – an e-mail he sent because of his despair.

The car starts moving. I try to get a view of the licence plate but I don't succeed. I'm angry that I didn't listen to my first feeling to write down the number of the licence plate, which did occur to me for a moment when I saw the car. Then it comes to my mind that I should help Sharon. I run to Jason's house in socks. Very soon I see Sharon's lifeless body. I run quickly to her and hold her hand. She's cold, but I can already feel my power going into her. At some point I hear her regular breathing and a little later she opens her eyes. I burst out in tears.

"Don't tell me that I fainted?" she asks in alarm.

"No idea! You were already lying here when I came in ..." I lie, and then I can do nothing but sob. Sharon takes me in her arms and I frantically think about how to explain Jason's absence. I've long resolved firmly: I'll look for Jason and we'll fight together against that man. I don't care how! If he's actually responsible for Jason's "gift" then he can certainly undo that, can't he? That thought gives me strength again. My tears slowly dry up and I breathe deeply. What can I do with Sharon? How can I explain to her everything without betraying Jason's and my secret? And then suddenly I have an idea.