Jason

My heart is thumping as after a 1000-metre race when I open my eyes. After two nightmares in a row that's no wonder. A glance at my watch shows me that it's just a few minutes past midnight. Great stuff! After the training I really thought I'd sleep like a baby. But that was a false conclusion. I sigh and get up. My stomach is grumbling and I decide to fetch something out of the kitchen. In bare feet I tiptoe down the stairway and along the corridor across the ruby-red floor that is now gleaming eerily, and further along the corridor to the kitchen. At the door to the lounge room I halt. Excited voices give me the idea of stopping and listening in. Simultaneously I set up my wall. It'd be very bad if they caught me now. I sharpen my ears and try to follow the conversation.

"... I'm quite sure! Was right next door! I've really never seen that angel before ..." says a man whose voice I've not heard yet.

"So it was that angel who brought back the foster mother?" That's Rafael's voice. He sounds astonished. "Interesting! Who would've thought that?"

"Our man on the spot will intervene immediately and bring the angel here."

"Hahaha, that'll be a surprise. Such a strong angel would make a good trophy in my collection, don't you think?" Rafael laughs, and the man joins in laughing.

"Should I set up the prison?" the man asks.

"No! No pleasantries for our guest. Torture is the better method, we'll quickly find out who's behind all that."

"And what say ..."

I've heard enough. My hunger is forgotten, and I run back to my room. Oh my God, Rafael knows about Nay, and he wants to bring her here and torture her. My worst fears will be realised! Nay's in danger and I don't know how I can help her. What should I do? I tousle my hair and walk nervously back and forth in the room.

That can't all be true. I have to fight. Nay must not be killed by the angels of death and become a souvenir in resin. I'll ram their hryll into the damned hearts of all of these filthy creatures and suck them out till only a shell of them remains. And if I die in the process, so much the better. But before that I'll make sure Nay will survive. Even if it's the last thing I do – she will live and not die ...

A part of my plan is to get up early and do exercises. Since sleep is anyhow now out of the question, I put on my sports trousers and a T-shirt and set off for the cellar. I take out all of my frustration on the dummies.

Even if they aren't real objects I'm sure that every hryll would have gone with full impact into the heart of an angel of death. I just have to wait for the moment they're not expecting.

I'm in the swimming pool when Lukas comes down. "Wow, somebody's awake very early," he's pleased to notice.

"I'm just getting fit for the showdown," I say sarcastically.

He finds my answer to be comical, and hits his side with his hand. "Oh, I really think that's great – a boy with a sense of black humour. We'll have lots of fun together."

Sure! I think mockingly. I'll have a ton of pleasure. The laughs are guaranteed to be on my side.

Wall! Wall! Wall!

At breakfast I tuck into the eggs with the hunger of a wolf. Rafael is pleased to see that. He thinks I'm preparing myself for his fight. That's good! I must not make any mistakes. The more surprising an attack, the more effective it is. I'll now try to gather all of my strength. And yes, I'll use it all for myself.

"Boy, after breakfast we'll train together. Perhaps your father has blocked our power, but we can get it back. You're very strong and I think it'll not take long before you're ready. We haven't got as much time as I thought we have."