Game 001 (2)

It was as simple as that.

The contestants settled their gaze on the unconscious Hyungwon in the box, and then averted their gaze to the screen, which had changed to a huge timer counting down from 5 minutes. They looked back and forth between the two, stomachs churning, unaware or whether fear, or disbelief, was the one that was slowing eating away their patience.

The uneasiness sinks in as they realise the undeniable truth: it was not as simple as that.

Finally the red haired contestant could not take it anymore. "You know what, screw this. I'm calling the police."

The other two muttered in agreement, still fazed by the situation, staring at the finger hovering over "9" as if their life depended on it. Well, that wasn't far from the truth.

The phone was raised to an ear, but no one spoke for what felt like minutes, when in fact the timer indicates that there was still 4 minutes and 30 seconds left.

"Fuck, why is there no sound?" The red haired man ripped the phone away from his ear and glared at the screen in frustration, and if it hadn't been the newest iPhone X, the thin black box would have been on the other side of the room by now.

Phones were pulled out and turned on, well, attempted to be anyways. Nothing showed other than blackness. Disappointing, depressing, blackness.

"Shit, is my phone dead?"

"No, mine is black, too."

"What are we supposed to do now?"

They looked back towards Hyungwon, still lying lifeless against the cold floor. Despite everything, his closed eyes looked peaceful and calming.

No one talked for a good while. No one dared talk. The truth was way too dreadful to be spoken out loud.

Smiley did something to your phones. You have no choice but to make a choice.

"Look, we don't have much time," The tallest one started. "I say we..." He hesitated, searching for the right words. "I mean, he won't actually kill that man right?"

It took a while for the others to realise what those words meant.

"W-wait. You don't mean-We can't just leave him-"

Pat. Pat. Pat.

"Y-yea. I don't want to be a murderer!"

PAT. PAT. PAT

"What was that?" The tallest one asked again.

PATPATPATPATPATPATPATPATPATPAT!!!!!!

Three heads jerked towards the source of the sound, which happened to be the only illuminated area in this room.

"Oh, he's awake." It was not clear who spoke; it was too dark to be sure anyways.

They walked toward the glass box, thinking that everything would be easier since the victim could just make the decision for them.

"What the hell is happening? What's with the timer?" The glass muffled the voice, but the fear and desperation was still very much evident.

The three contestants looked at each other, afraid to reveal the truth.

Hyungwon looked at each of them carefully from left to right, and then focused his eyes on the glass instead when no one spoke. "Since I'm locked up, and since you are apparently scared to even tell me, I assume it's really bad." Hyungwon tried really hard to stay calm, to show even a little control over something that is clearly out of his control. He realized that he was the reason for all this, he had to take responsibility somehow, and staying calm and acting like the leader seemed like the right thing to do.