The Final Shot

Maybe his brain didn't want to believe what he just heard. That explained why he tricked himself into thinking what he heard didn't make any sense, so he wouldn't have to face the ramifications behind it. He saw everyone else listening attentively, and despite the deep creases on their faces, he could tell the gears that were already firing into motion, coming up with a way to win the next challenge.

And Hyungwon was here, physically there but mind drifting away, as if he was part of an island that broke apart and was slowly isolating from the others.

Nevertheless, he could still see, on the other side of the ocean, everything that was happening. He ran over every bit of information in his head again, combing through every single word of instruction, hoping to find some sort of evidence that it was all just a terrible misunderstanding.

Wonho was still in a cage, scared out of his mind. He probably needed immediate help, which no one could give.

They kind of "won" part of the game, so they get to proceed and save Wonho.

But of course Smiley wasn't going to make this last part easy. Apparently Smiley noticed the ambiguously intimate relationship between Hyungwon and Wonho, which prompted him to include it in this game somehow.

To win the game, Smiley had said, they would have to find someone to kiss Hyungwon.

Yep. Hyungwon wasn't mistaken. He heard everything correctly, and it was pointless trying to believe otherwise.

He had to kiss another man. Something he had never done before. In fact, he wasn't even sure if he actually liked men or if it was just temporary infatuation on his part.

The fact that he was reacting so greatly unsettled him more than having to kiss someone else physically. Because right now the only reason he could think of for being so uncomfortable is that he actually had feelings for Wonho, which was why he was so against kissing someone else that wasn't the said person.

"Hyungwon, we only have one hour. Focus, please." In an instant his lone island was snapped back and connected to the bigger land. He had to stifle a choke as if he actually collided with something hard and was stuck to it permanently. Depressing as it was, that analogy sounded way too similar to what was actually happening: reality hitting him hard.

"I'm sorry." That was all Hyungwon could manage. All the while his heart was begging him to hide in a corner and bawl his eyes out discreetly. His brain was definitely against that however, and the brain always wins.

If everyone else was ready to face this challenge, he'd better be playing his part too, especially because he still felt guilty from dragging three people in here with him. And that was discarding the fact that one of the three was still stuck in a room, living the cruellest nightmare of his life.

Since everyone was looking at him expectantly, Hyungwon felt obligated to say something. At least he knew what to say. "You can...you guys can choose who to, you know, do that. I don't mind. I shouldn't have a say in this. It was kind of my fault...in some way. Besides, I'm pretty sure Smiley's objective is to upset Wonho and I, so I don't have the right to put you in a difficult position."

Kihyun sniggered. "I don't think Smiley gets the fact that kissing is someone that involves two people."

"We should start discussing if we want to make it in time." Shownu said, exchanging gazes with Hyungwon. Hyungwon took that as a cue to leave, giving them time and space to make yet another impossible decision.

His legs led him to Wonho immediately without hesitation. Only partitioned by the clearest and most spotless glass he had ever came across, Hyungwon could almost feel the warmth emanating from Wonho, who was now standing closer. The once cheerful grin plastered on Wonho's face was, of course, stolen away from him a long time ago. He was sitting on the floor, back against the wall, head hanging low like a wilted flower. His strong arms flexed as he hugged his knees tightly against his chest; a defensive position.