Game 008

"Shownu-hyung, they're back." Kihyun said quietly as he tugged on Shownu's sleeve, as if he was afraid of being heard.

Wonho huffed in disapproval, not happy with the interrupted argument.

Hyungwon, Wonho, Changkyun, Kihyun and Shownu looked towards the couch, where Jooheon and Minhyuk were slowly approaching. They stopped before reaching them, staring with uncertain eyes.

After a moment of silence Kihyun said, "Let's just choose the red side for all rounds, okay?"

As if being woken up from a deep sleep, everyone shook their heads before muttering some sort of approval. They trudged along the carpet to choose a spot and stood still, making sure to let Smiley know they are ready.

Jooheon and Minhyuk joined them on the red carpet as well, walking slowly as if the tension in the air was some sort of physical resistance. Jooheon knew very well what they walked into, what they interrupted, and he knew it could explode anytime. The longer the silent goes on for, the bigger the explosion.

Jooheon stood on a spot right across Changkyun so that they were facing each other. He tried to show some sort of greeting with the tiniest smile he could muster, but it was like Changkyun didn't even acknowledge the other's presence. Changkyun had his head up, but his eyes were looking down to his feet. Now that he was closer, Jooheon could make out the dark circles around his eyes, as if everything he dealt with robbed him of his energy, despite getting enough sleep the previous night. What worried him most was the amount of dread in those eyes. The stress was clinging onto Changkyun, dragging him down, and Jooheon saw it all, through those dark orbs that looked like it led to the deep dark depths of hell.

Jooheon was sorry for not being able to help; afraid to talk in the awkward and unfamiliar setting, yet not knowing what to say if did open his mouth. What was the good in comforting others, when he couldn't even convince himself that everything was fine?

It was distressing, realizing they are indeed broken apart, returning to a state worse than strangers, if that was even possible. No one wanted to talk, and being one of them, Jooheon knew exactly why. They saw what happened to Wonho and Minhyuk. Once you speak, you lose control of your own emotions.

There was a distant 'ding' as they moved onto the next round. No one moved. No one spoke. If brain in work made any sounds, the only sound in the room would be the constant buzz of everyone's thoughts, circling around and banging against the walls of their brains trying to get out. The silence was deafening, and you could almost hear their hearts beating furiously, trying to conceal everyone's emotions so they stay calm, at least on the outside.

After one to two minutes another 'ding' sounded the room, slicing through the silence so hard it ranged in everyone's ears. Most of the contestants resolved to staring in space, pretending to be deep in thought when reality they are numbing themselves with the overwhelming mixture of emotions so they wouldn't have to feel the most strong one of them all – distress.

This went on for about 10 more minutes, until game 7 ended and a new announcement was made.

"Well, I was looking forward to this game, but I have to say I'm fairly disappointed in you all." Smiley said. It was almost painful to listen to his voice booming through the speakers.

For one moment some people let anger and annoyance take over them, rolling their eyes and muttering curses, doing anything to forget about hopelessness.

The silence told them Smiley was expecting a response, so Hyungwon spoke, asking the obvious question to make things easier for himself. "Why the f-" He stopped himself before swearing, afraid it would provoke anyone. He kept it short. "Why are you disappointed?"