Game: Choice

Choice.

Life is full of decisions. Most often than not those decisions are hard to make. Not because we are afraid of missing out on the other offers, but because most of the time, none of those decisions are favourable.

Choices. Decisions. You choose the one that you like the most. Sounds easy enough.

But what if you want something that isn't one of the choices? You can't have all, but if you don't choose one of the offers, you miss out on everything.

And that's when you realize; you have no choice but to make a choice.

That was also what Changkyun figured out.

Changkyun looked up to one of the yellow masks, trying to ignore the tension forcing onto him from all directions. "Where exactly are they?" He hoped the words sounded calm and composed, thinking that listening to himself sounding calm would actually make him calm.

The drawn on black eyes stared straight forward unmoved when he answered, "Underground." Simple answer. No more than necessary. Changkyun frowned at that, asking another useless question just to stall time. He didn't want to face the decision yet. He wanted more time, though he didn't know what time would do now, other than increasing the chances of putting his friends into even more danger.

Changkyun knew the answer, and hearing it again would make it more realistic, more striking, more depressing. But he asked anyways. "Can we go see them?"

"No" was the answer, given quickly by one of the other workers. The answer was devoid of emotions, but it was clear that they were trying to push away any chances of conversation. It was no doubt so the game could start as soon as possible. There was no escape.

"Should we just choose one?" Hyungwon asked, turning all eyes on him. His voice was quiet, timid, as if talking too loud will reveal emotions that should be kept hidden.

No one answered his question, throat clogged with the same dread that everyone else was feeling when they understood the true meaning of that question. The decision, the action, to make the choice, meant that they had given up on fighting. That they had accepted, with silence, saving only one and leaving the other in danger was fair. But it wasn't. It wasn't fair. It wasn't just. It wasn't okay. It would never be.

No one had better ideas, so silence was the best answer. Silence meant no objections. No objections meant agreement. But Changkyun wasn't going to agree yet. At least not fully. He had to change this somehow, even though the chance that anything would happen was slim.

"I say we should." Now all attention was on him, clearly not expecting anyone to actually answer verbally. Changkyun tried to keep eye contact with the black orbs filled with fear and dismay. They were scared, scared that the time to make the decision had come. Changkyun was scared too, but he couldn't let it show. He had to make the change, or at least make them believe a change was possible while he thinks of a way to make this work.

"We will think of a way to save the other afterwards. One at a time is the best way to do it." Changkyun explained, not caring if the five workers standing less than a few feet away, or Smiley who had audio receivers installed in every corner of the room, could hear his plan loud and clear. He wanted to sound like he was taking part in a normal discussion, just like everyone else was. He wanted to make everyone else, including him, feel like the chains on their hands, the strangers guarding them, the grey room they were in, were all inexistent. None of those were true, but deluding themselves was the only way to make this work, before everything broke out into chaos.

And Changkyun was afraid he was already too late.

There was something weird and out of place that told him there was a chance to actually win this game. There was a code to crack, a problem to solve, an answer to find. An answer that would tell him how to make the decision. He had to find the answer before the decision was made, but the discussion has started and he was still stuck with half the equation.