1

*Farrah's POV*

Thunder boomed as I hid shivering in the closet of our shared room. Mama and Papa were sleeping soundly, and I knew that papa would be cross if I woke him up, "You're a big girl now, Farrah, storms can't hurt you." He'd say as he sent me back to my bed on the other side of the room with a pat on the head. I clutched my quilt tighter around me, not wanting to make the trip across our dark bedroom, to my bed that seemed worlds away from the safety of the closet. As a bolt of lightning illuminated the room, I saw someone standing over the bed, and the crash of thunder barely hid the scream of Mama and the fight between the shadow and Papa. The shadow left soon after, but I remained frozen in the closet until dawn, when a kind-looking Elf man opened the door and gently scooped me up, he hid the view of the room with his chest, but not before I saw mama and papa laying in bed, all crooked, their bodies lying like my broken doll's, with the white blankets dyed the same rust color as mama's hair.

I woke up with a start, wiping the tears from my eyes, I thought I would have outgrown these nightmares years ago. I rolled out of bed and went to the washbasin in my room, splashing cool water on my face. I pulled off the men's shirt that I used as a nightgown and pulled on a fresh pair of leggings and a soft tunic.

Quietly running downstairs, I passed my parents' and sister's room. I grabbed an apple as I strolled out onto the pre-dawn streets of Caza. It was a warm little village, about a day's ride from the Capital. It was completely surrounded by a lush forest- and everyone grew up on tales of the Demon Queen Amara, and her sister, the Mother Goddess Iara, who supposedly trekked through those woods eons ago.

I whistled as I strolled along down the avenues until I arrived at the smith's workshop to pick up my sword. Liam was a close friend of mine, and he owed me a favor, so he was the only one I trusted with my most prized possessions, my weapons, plus he usually gave me a steep discount when I stopped by for repairs.

"Oi Liam, get your lazy ass out of bed and let me in," I said, banging on the door. I heard a muffled groan and the door opened, and a rumpled Liam greeted me.

"Do you know what time it is, girlie?" He scolded playfully, ruffling my hair. "You know where everything is." He said, yawning and scratching his scraggly beard. "At this point, I should just give you a spare key, maybe I could get some more sleep then." I laughed and went behind the counter to retrieve my weapon. Its leather guard was starting to fall apart, though I could have gone to Norric the leatherworker to have it repaired, Liam's work was always flawless.

"Thank you so much, Liam!" I sheathed the sword and wrapped my arms around his barrel-shaped torso. He chuckles, "No problem Farrah, we owe you one."

"It's nothing, let the girls know that I said hi." I waved as I walked out of the store and back onto the main road.

Next stop was to help Rhea with preparing breakfast for all of the kids at the town's orphanage. I attached the scabbard to my belt and quickly made my way to the old church where the orphanage was located. I used the key that I kept on a leather cord beneath my tunic to opened the gigantic doors.

"Miss Farrah!" I stumbled back, laughing, as a blur of blonde hair tackles my legs into a hug. I pat my attacker on the head, her name was Patty, she was one of the elven residents of the church, and I had known her since she was a baby.

"Why, hello Miss Patty! What are you doing up this early?" I asked, picking her up and hugging her properly. "Miss Rhe said you'd be stopping by to help with breakfast and I wanted to be the first to see you!" She exclaimed with a wide smile. "Well if you're awake, you can help set the tables," I said, tapping her nose, "And you may get an extra blueberry muffin for your help," I continued in a conspirator's whisper. Patty nodded excitedly, and I set her down. We walk quietly down the dark corridors, careful not to wake any of the still-sleeping residents until we reach the kitchen and dining room.