Chapter 3- The library

I stood in front of the mirror with a brush in my hand and a pained look on my face, my hair was knotted in huge clumps and sticks stuck out of them randomly. I had a graze on my cheek that had once bled sticky blood and the knees on my jeans were torn to shreds, I now know why the others were looking at me so strangely. I winced under the pain of the antiseptic that I was dabbing gently against my skin, my hair was beginning to untangle so I went into my ensuite and began to pick bits of twigs and dirt from the matted mess. It washed out fairly easily and soon I was left with soggy hair, I tied it up in a towel and then changed into my night clothes. I was so tired that I instantly fell asleep, I was woken up in the morning by my alarm clock and I rubbed my eyes sleepily and put on a floral dress with three quarter length arms. I tied a ribbon in a bow on the top of my head, letting my blonde hair flow down my back elegantly. I had no plans for the weekend yet and so I intended to just chill out but that was never going to happen not while I was part of the Losers Club. I was just about to come downstairs when there was a knock at the door, I made it to the top of the stairs before my mom opened the door. Eddie was stood outside with his aspirator clutched tightly in his hands, "Is Y/N in mam?" He asked and she shouted my name up the stairs. I rushed down and took the door from her "Hey Eddie." I greeted me he put up his hand to say hello, "Me and the others are going down to the library today if you wanna join us?" He asked and I nodded "Give me a sec." I replied and ran into the house to grab my satchel. "I'm going out mom, I'll be lack later!" I yelled and she shouted back "Ok sweetie be careful." before I closed the door on her. I walked by the side of Eddie down Neibolt street, we passed house number 29 and Eddie shivered "Man I hate that house...it gives me the creeps." I nodded. I avoided looking at Eddie, I didn't want to let him know that I was afraid of that house too. "So your afraid too?" He asked and I turned to face him without looking him in the eyes. I nodded and he put his hand on my shoulder "Its ok to be afraid, everyone's scared of something, but Stan especially. He's afraid of everything." He said and I smiled at him, I felt like now I could look at him and not be afraid of my fears. We met up with the others at the end of Neibolt street and began the walk to the library, "So why are we going to the library?" I asked "R...r...rea...ser...ser...." Bill stuttered and Richie spoke over the top "Research." Everyone looked uncomfortable at this word and I wondered why "Suh...some...thing took juh...juh...Georgie an...d I...I'm gonna f...f...f...find I...I...I...I...it." Bill added and I looked at the floor in silence "Ah man Bill I'm sorry." I said apologetically he shook his head at me and said "You...you've g...g..got nuh...nuh...othing to b...be s...sor...ry f...or" we walked all the way to the library in that same silence after that, not an awkward silence but a comfortable silence.

We entered the library and split up to look for clues as to where or what might have taken Bill's little brother, I went down the third isle from the wall. Searching through the many books about Derry, I was too engrossed in my search that I hadn't noticed the boy looking at the book ahead of me. I walked into him causing the pile of books that he was holding to fall to the floor with a thud, "I'm so sorry." I said apologetically while trying to help pick up the books. "Eh, it's fine." He responded, he was wearing a t shirt with the letters 'New Kids On The Block' written across the front of it. "So whatcha looking for?" He asked and I pointed back to the shelves, my eyes scanned the titles but nothing caught my eye. "Maybe something like the background of Derry..." I replied and he nodded before taking the top book off of his pile and handing it to me "Here, this should be sufficient. See you around." He said before waddling off with his handfuls of books. I looked down at the book that he had given me and studied the cover, it was faded and dusty which made me more and more confident in the fact that I was searching for this. I read the title and took it over to a nearby table "A history of Derry..." I read aloud and turned the wrinkled front cover over so that now I could see the inside. The black and white pictures filled my imagination with wonder as I flicked through them, carnivals and events lined each page until I reached the very last one. I stopped smiling at this page, the picture showed a factory with fire blazing out of broken windows and charred bricks that teetered precariously from the half built roof. "The Kitchener Ironworks..." I said to myself and my eyes ran over the lines of text that told me about the picture, after reading the short paragraph I closed the book and returned it to the shelf. I can't believe that my dad works at that place, ages ago the Kitchener Ironworks factory held an Easter egg hunt for children. It was filled to the brim with happy kids searching for little chocolate eggs, but around 40 minutes to the end of the hunt the whole factory blew up. Killing hundreds of the poor children inside and sending their burnt remains into the air, one Kids head was even blown into the tree of a neighbouring garden. And now it was back up and running again. I didn't wait for the others after that, I decided to leave a note for them and then get some alone time at the barrens.