Chapter 6- Not over yet

I locked the door behind me and sat in the kitchen, there was still no one home, just me, alone in the huge house. I sat on a wooden chair at the table looking at the wall in a sort of trance. The door was knocked by someone and I craned my neck to try and see who it was, after my experience I can't trust anyone or anything. I pushed my chair back and made my way to the door cautiously, it was probably my mom but I was scared of who else it could be. My hand closed around the brass door knob and I twisted it, the fear consuming my insides. I pulled the freshly painted door as quickly as I could so that I could get it over with, I had closed my eyes somewhere along the way and I allowed myself to take a peak at the person waiting outside. To my surprise there was no one there, just the wind blowing a few leaves across the street. I let a nervous laugh escape from my throat and shook my head, maybe it was all in my head I thought maybe I'm going crazy, I'd prefer that than for it to be real. I stepped outside to see if there was anyone there that could have knocked the door and ran but the street was completely empty, something crunches under my foot and I lifted it too look what I had stepped on. A bouquet of flowers had been laid gently on the front step and I hand accidentally crushed their stems with my foot, I put my hand down and lifted them up. A beautiful pale blue ribbon held them together and it almost matched the colour of my dress. Clinging to the ribbon was a tiny scrap of paper with a floral pattern painted across the edge, it had words written on it in someone's beautiful handwriting. "To Y/N, these flowers are just as pretty as you..." it read and I lifted the pastel coloured flowers to my nose, I sniffed them and then looked down at them. For the third time in one day I screamed, the heads of the flowers were splatted with deep red blood. I threw them across the pavement and ran back into the house, my hand twisted the key in the lock and then I backed away from the door. My heel reached the bottom of the stairs and I tripped over the bottom one, I hit the stairs hard but I kept moving, moving upward now. I never stopped looking at the letter box though, it swung backwards and forwards wildly like it had a mind of its own. Blood began to pour through the letter box and the tears came again in hot, salty lines. Now there were hands coming through the letterbox and I was screaming at the top of my voice but no one was hearing, not the young couple next door and not the old lady who had lived in her house for 67 years. No one. No one was around to hear me scream, and worst of all no one was around to help me.

A screech came from outside and the sound of metal hitting something hard echoed around the house, the blood began to retrace its footsteps as if time was being rewinded and I got up to see what was happening. The key had fallen out of the door and onto the rug so I picked it up and jammed it into the lock, it twisted easily and then I pulled the door open as if acting by instinct I lifted my fist ready to punch whatever stood outside. Eddie stood on the front porch with a metal sign in one hand and his aspirator in the other, his face was bright red and he was panting. "What the hell was that!?" He exclaimed and I shrugged, "I don't know, it came from 29, I...i...i" I managed before I burst into tears. Eddie took another breath of his aspirator and then nodded "You went inside and then that thing chased you back out again?" He asked, I nodded and so did he "Same thing happened to me but the thing I saw cane out of the garden and chased me down the road." He explained and I invited him in. "Best not stick around here for more than we need to, come on you can come to mine until your parents get back." He said and I grabbed my satchel before leaving the house. I wiped the last few tears from my eyes and wiped my nose on the small white handkerchief that was kept in my top pocket permanently. Eddie's house wasn't too far away so we didn't need bikes to get there, we talked about everything but what we'd seen at 29 Neibolt street and when in actually fact what I wanted to do was talk about it. Eddie crept past the entrance to the living room and into the kitchen, I followed him slowly and once in the kitchen he closed the door to avoid his mother from listening in on his conversation. "So what did you see?" He asked and I looked at him with a confused look on my face, "What was it that you saw at 29?" He asked again but more clearly this time. "Well at first it was Bill's brother, you know George." I said pausing to check that Eddie was listening, "and then it changed into a crazed nurse." I continued. Eddie was listening contently through out the whole story and perked up "You afraid of Nurses?" He asked and I nodded "I'm afraid of hospitals and Doctors too..." I said trailing off at the last minute. He smiled weakly and told me that he was afraid of Hobos and Lepers, we talked about what we had seen at number 29 up until my mom came to fetch me in the afternoon. She thanked Eddie's mother for making me some lunch and then drove us home, I lay in bed awake that night. Just thinking of what the day had brought and how I wish that it hadn't, sleep was inevitable though and it crept over me, blackening my mind to nothing. I slept, deeply and terribly but I slept and that was all that mattered.