Chapter 10- The cliff jump

I stood at the top of the steep cliff amongst the other losers with a tight knot in my stomach, no one wanted to jump first but we all knew that someone had too. "I'll go..." a small voice from behind called out and we all turned round to see the girl from the other day, she took a run at the edge and leapt off of the edge. Her arms and legs flailed around for a brief second and then she disappeared into the dark green water below. After that it was obvious that someone had to go next and once I heard the girls voice calling up from the bottom the knot fell away, "Yahoo!" I yelled as I took the jump. The free fall sent butterflies spiralling through my stomach and I screamed as I fell. The water was cool when I plunged into it and I froze for a second before starting to swim up, I emerged into the air with a gasp and the adrenaline caught up with me. A smile spread across my face and I swam across to the other girl; "My names Y/N, nice to meet you." I said and she smiled back "Beverly. Beverly Marsh." She replies and stuck her hand out for me to shake it. I took it and shook it gently before watching the boys jump off the cliff, they screamed the most out of all of us. Time passed and soon we were all fighting each other, I lost my battle and fell into the water backwards. I didn't notice Beverly slip away to talk to Bill until he shouted out, "A turtle!" He yelled and we all looked round in amazement. "Over there!" He screeched and we all swam in the direction that he was pointing in, there was infact a turtle. It's shell was a mottled green colour and it had leathery skin that crinkled up when it swam. We followed it until the poor creature hid in a cove somewhere deep in the lake, we all climbed out onto the edge to dry in the sun and I sunbathed with Beverly while the boys did something else. There was a boom box positioned precariously on top of a boulder and it played short melodies as we all set about messing around or sun bathing. Soon the sun had gone down and the curfew was only ten minutes away, I walked along the cracked pavement of Neibolt street by the side of Eddie. There was only me and him left which meant that we had an awkward silence between us, "How are you?" Eddie asked and I shrugged "To be honest Eddie I don't know..." I trailed off and he looked at me sympathetically "I know how you feel...sometimes I'm scared of that house too."
"Really? I didn't expect big bad Eddie to be scared..." I teased and he laughed
"Yeah, I ain't scared after all I'm the biggest baddest bully that there is." Eddie said and then we stood there in silence, "So what happened to your face?" He asked and my hand moved up to the slash across my cheek. "Nothing, I'm fine Eddie." I lied and he looked over at me sceptically "Yeah right, it was bowers wasn't it?" He said and I nodded slowly. It hurt like mad and Eddie put up a finger, he crouched down on the floor and opened his bag he pulled out a pot of ointment and handed it to me. "Here this should stop it from hurting..." he said as he stood back up again. I wasn't sure what to do with the cream so I let Eddie help me, he smeared the ointment gently across my cut and I winced at the sharp pain that shot across my cheek. He pulled his hand away as if he was the one who had accidentally cause the pain, "Eddie it's not your fault it's just...sore that's all." I said slowly and he let out a deep breath. I hadn't noticed that Eddie was holding his breath but he had been and his face was as red as a tomato. I smirked at him and he looked the other way, blushing again to a deeper shade of red. We started walking again as we had stopped for a few seconds and we reached 29. "Hey Eddie?" I said tapping his arm to get his attention, "I have to go back inside there..." I said turning to look at him and as if in agreement he nodded. We ascended the sloping path to the door and climbed the rickety, old steps to the front door, one of the steps gave way and Eddie screamed the most girliest scream that has ever existed. I collapsed into a bundle of laughs and tears escaped from my eyes. Eddie scowled and pulled his foot out of the wooden step, he climbed the rest and started laughing with me when he reached the top. I stood back up and closed my hand around the door knob, it was cold and I twisted it gently. With a creak the door swung open, I turned to see Eddie trying to sneak away and grabbed his hand. "Come on..." I said and dragged him into the house, there was nothing there, only the stench of rot and dampness. The lights didn't come on, the door didn't close and most of all there was no boy at the end of the corridor. No George Denbrough. Suddenly there was a bang from the floor up above and both our eyes shot up to the ceiling, something was up there and now I was glad to be holding Eddie's hand even if it would be an awkward conversation in the days to come. My heart beat rapidly in my chest and I started to hyperventilate just as Eddie was doing, I heard the sound of his aspirator and then he begun to breath much easier. There was a creak behind us and I turned round to look at what lay behind....