Chapter 7- A new member

I woke up before my alarm went off the next day and I got dressed into yet another dress, it was cut off above the knees and had a pale green ribbon tied around the waist. The sleeves were above the elbow and I wore white socks with my black school shoes. I was dressed before the alarm clock and I found myself eating breakfast and leaving the house before the alarm clock begun to ring, I walked down Neibolt street with my head down. The sky was still dark from the night but the sun was beginning to rise, I got to the end of Neibolt street and without thinking I turned towards Stan's house. It was a small but neat house and I knocked on the door gently due to my lack of knowledge of the time. Stan answered the door with his curly hair over his face, he had his watch tied around his wrist and he was wearing a blue checkered shirt. His regular beige shorts were being worn for the 8th time in the last two weeks and he rubbed his eyes sleepily. "Hey Stan, ummm... you ready for school yet?" I asked and he beckoned me inside, he picked up his school rucksack and began to pack books and food into it. Half way through he brushed his hair across to its regular position with his hands and then continued, "I'll be done soon, give me a second." He said as he rummaged around at the bottom of his bag. A woman called from upstairs "Stan? Who are you talking too honey?" She asked and Stan looked in the general direction of it "It's just my friend Y/N mom." He called and she shouted back her response which was merely "Ok". After that Stan lead me out of the house and we chatted on the way to school, we made it just in time for school to start and split up for our lessons. Even though I've only known Stan for a few days it felt like I'd know him for years, we had already become so close. I would even go as far as saying that Stan was my best friend. School dragged on a lot, and at the end of the day everyone cheered because it was the last day of school before the summer holidays. It may seem weird to have a one day week here in Derry but that's the usual around here. The losers club was supposed to be meeting at the Barrens after school but Richie couldn't make it and neither could Stan so it was just Me, Bill and Eddie.

We messed around for a bit in the Barrens until Bill suggested that we built a dam, Eddie and I both agreed. We piled up chunks of mud and dirt but after many failed attempts the dam ended up being a pile of muck. At some point during the afternoon Henry and his gang turned up, they didn't mention anything about killing me and I was rather relieved that the phase of death was over. But I could never have been more wrong, Henry was searching for another kid called Ben Hanscom. He said that Ben Hanscom was going to die because he didn't let him copy in a maths test resulting in him having to attend summer school. Somewhere in the mix Eddie got punched in the face for protesting against Henry and we found ourselves trying to stop Eddie's nose bleeding and get a refill for his empty aspirator. Bill didn't want to leave Eddie with just me because I didn't know what to do if anything happened. We spent half an hour quarrelling over who would go and who would stay, suddenly a voice spoke from behind Bill "I'll stay. I'm Ben by the way." Said the boy from the library. He was battered completely, cuts covers him from head to toe and his clothes were tattered and ripped. Bill wanted to go to fetch Eddie's refill and so he left me along with Ben to look after Eddie, Ben sat a few metres away drawing in the dirt with a stick. I sat next to Eddie on a neighbouring log to the stone that he was perched on, he gasped for air but his nose had stopped bleeding now so that made it a little bit better. Eddie didn't look at what Ben was doing he just watched the clouds, water was beginning to built a thin wall at the bottom of his eyes and I grabbed his hand to comfort him. We sat like that until Bill came back and then I let go of his hand so that Bill and Ben wouldn't be suspicious. Eddie recovered pretty fast after that and We discovered that Ben had an amazing knowledge of building, he told us exactly how to built a dam and we asked him to help us build it the next day. That made him happy because he didn't have many friends, he was new like me and it wasn't as easy to fit in for him as it was for me. We agreed to come back to the Barrens tomorrow to rebuild the dam that Belch kicked down when Eddie got punched, he called it "A baby dam." Which highly offended me as I am not a baby. Besides maybe Stan and Richie will be available to come tomorrow. I walked out of the Barrens with Ben, Eddie and Bill. Eddie and Ben went one way and Bill came the same way as I walked, I didn't particularly want to go home after what happened with house 29 but I had no other choice so I let Bill talk to me as we neared the point where he would go one way and I would go another. I didn't feel as brave as I had felt on the day so I ran past the house as quick as I could and home to mine. Sleep was hard to come by and I lay awake thinking until I fell into a light slumber.