Chapter 4- Peace and bullies

I sat on a log watching the steady trickle of water flow by at my feet, it was peaceful here and quiet. Hidden away from the noise of the main city, but soon it wouldn't be quiet and I realised that when I heard the splash of heavy boots tramping through water. A cloud of harsh laughs floated through the trees and I froze in fear tying to figure out what to do. It was definitely Henry and perhaps Belch Huggins and Victor Criss too. There was one thing that I knew for sure and that was the fact that he was not alone. I had been stood hear for too long and as I turned to leave I heard his deep voice bellow across the clearing, "Hello Squirt..." he called and I turned to face him. A fire burnt somewhere in his empty eyes and I saw the embers rising into his iris, "Your gonna wish you were never born." He laughed and pulled a knife out of his pocket. Belch and Victor smiled at their leaders remark and fixed their eyes on me, my brain panicked and began to beat itself up for leaving the library alone. Henry's feet left colossal footprints behind with each step as he moved towards me, I inched backwards until my back was up against the rough bark of a tree. There was nowhere left to go now and so I closed my eyes and braced myself for the worst pain in my life so far, suddenly there was a coarse yell from my left side. The losers club were pelting through the barrens towards Henry with huge sticks clutched tightly in their hands, Bill led them because he was the leader of the club and Eddie followed pursuit at the back because he was one of the slowest. "Get away from her!" Stan yelled and in a whirlwind of colour my friends attacked the bullies, Belch was the first to flee. He had cuts and scratches across his face from the large throne protruding from the dry wood, then Victor followed not wanting to end up the same way which left Henry. The knife in his hand shone in the light and the Losers club had been reduced to cowering puppies, "Now just you listen hear Losers, if you try to stop me from taking my property then you will all deal with the knife." He growled. I pushed through the group of boys until I reached the front, "No." I said firmly and everyone looked in my direction. "What did you say?" He hissed, I took another step towards him and said "No. I'm not your property. I belong to no one and are you forgetting that I am the superior power hear. 5 against 1 what are the odds of that Bowers." He let out a frustrated growl and then ran after his friends. His feet thudded against the floor and as he ran he shouted the sentence "You'll pay for this Y/N! One day you'll pay!" Over his boulder before he disappeared onto the road.

My feet turned me round to face my friends and each one of them was smiling at me, Stan still had a stick in his hand just in case Henry's cronies came back but he looked calmer now. "Well, I never." Richie hollered from a nearby tree that he was leaning on, "I ain't neva seen anyone do that before..." he continued and I laughed because once again his accent was terrible. "I haven't ever seen anyone do that either!" Stan said sounding rather amazed, Richie sniggered "That's cause you got no friends but us Stan." Stan's face went red but he didn't object to this, he just kept his mouth shut. "I thought you had friends at your Jewish church place Stanley?" Eddie enquired and Stan nodded solemnly "I do." He replied flatly. Bill laughed from the log that he had decided to sit on, "ex...ex...cuses, excuse...ses." He said. We all shared a laugh and then I found a bed of leaves to sit on, Eddie came over and sat next to me while Stan climbed into the tree that Richie was leaning against. "So then what are you doing tomorrow?" Richie asked without one of his accents, "I was thinking of going over to the Standpipe, there's some beautiful flowers over there that I'd love to pick." I responded. Richie looked down at his watch and then his eyes widened "Jeepers Creepers my mother's going to kill me if I'm late for tea." He yelled and the stood up straight, he put his hand up and patted Stan's leg to get his attention because for the last few minutes he had been watching the birds in the sky. Richie isn't the gentlest of people and sometimes he doesn't realise his own strength, Stan screamed and fell backwards off of the branch the only thing that saved him was his boot catching on the branch by a sliver. He hung upside down and let out a sigh, with that sigh came a crack and then Stan fell to the floor with the branch. Everyone cracked up with laughter again and I helped Stan up off of the floor, he thanked me and then turned to Richie "Is my mom picking me up from your house then Richie?" He asked and after a nod they both left, waving as they went. It was just me, Eddie and Bill. "I...I...I h...have to go...go h...h...home n...now too." Bill stuttered and then left, "Well, they left pretty quickly and by the looks of the sky we should too, my guess is that it's about 6:30 already." I said beginning to get up. Eddie nodded "My mom'll have a hissy fit if I miss the curfew." He stated and I laughed "Mine won't just have a hissy fit she'll probably curl up and die!" I replied. We both laughed at my remark and then we reached the top of the barrens, "Right then, see you Eddie." I said and he waved as we went in separate directions. Sleep came very easily again that night once I had gotten home and I fell into a very light sleep.