Chapter 14- Carnival

A few days later I walked along the path besides Eddie, "We should tell Bill, Eddie." I said and he looked at me with wide eyes. "He can help us like he helped Beverly." I continued trying to convince him that we needed help, "Well why don't we go tell the whole of the Losers club, you've already told most of them." Eddie said with a sarcastic tone. "Hey! I've only told Stan and I didn't tell Richie I just asked if he'd seen anything strange!" I exclaimed feeling annoyed that he'd turn on me like that; he rubbed his eyes and turned to me "If you want to tell Bill then tell him, I don't care anymore." He responded and I looked back to the carnival that we were heading towards. I only just noticed the dark semi-circles underneath Eddie's eyes, "We'll get through this, I promise." I whispered and he must have heard what I said because he looked at me with teary eyes. Richie's voice could be heard from a mile away as we approached the entrance to the carnival, I smiled at the others from the entrance and ran over to greet them. "I love your dress Y/N." Beverly said with a warm smile, I had never been complimented before and it made me feel happy "Thank you Bev." I replied. Bill was studying a poster and as I peered over his shoulder I saw that the title was "Missing!" That was another missing child to add to the list, "Eddie Corcoran" was his name. I had heard about him, his brother was one of the first to go missing and now him. They arrested his father for murdering him and his brother but they never actually found his body. Bill lifted up the poster to reveal Betty Ripsoms poster "It's like she's been f....forgotten!" He said and a chill was sent down my spine. It was time Bill knew what happened in 29. The studying of the poster was cut of by arguing and I turned to see Richie fighting with one of the marching band members over his French horn, Eddie came round the corner from getting ice cream and handed one to Richie who had requested 'a plain vanilla one'. "What are you guys talking about?" Eddie asked and Richie talked over the top of everyone else "What they always talk about." He said and Eddie nodded in agreement. Ben spoke up "so I've been going about my research on Derry and I've been charting the events, and well, they all seem to happen everyday" he managed before Bill cut him off "Twenty seven years." He said solemnly and Ben nodded.

I sat on the grass next to the bench where there was a pile of people, "So let me get this straight, this thing comes out of hibernation in wherever every twenty seven years for like a year and then what? He goes back into hibernation?" Richie asked from his bike seat, "Maybe it's like cicadas, you know the bugs that come out every seventeen years." Stan suggested and I shook my head. "My grandfather thinks this town is cursed, that all the bad things happen because of one thing, one evil thing, That feeds off of the people of Derry." Mike said and I looked around the group nervously, each person had the same worried expression as me and for the first time I could see their fear. "But it can't be one thing...we all saw something different." Stan said and in that moment I registered that we had all seen something. "Maybe. Maybe it knows what thing scares us the most and that's what we see..." Mike answered and I felt a weight in my stomach. "I saw a leper...it was like a walking infection." Eddie added with a slight stutter, "But you didn't. Because it isn't real, none of this is. Not Eddie's leper...or Y/N's Nurse...or Bill seeing Georgie...Or the woman that I keep seeing!" Stan said in a half shout. A smile spread across Richie's face and I knew that he was going to make a comment that he would regret, "Is she hot?" He asked and Stan turned to look at him in fury "No Richie, she is not!" He half shouted back. "Her face is all messed up...None of this makes any sense, it's all like bad dream to me!" Stan continued and Beverly looked at the ground. "I don't think so. I know the difference between a bad dream and real life..." Mike argued, "What did you see? You saw something too?" Eddie cut in and mike looked down at the floor sorrowfully. "You guys know that burnt down house on Paris avenue? I was in there when it burnt down. Before I was rescued my mom and dad were in the next room over from me. They were pushing and pounding on the door. Trying to get to me..." he said pausing to regather himself before continuing "But it was too hot. When the firemen finally found them, all the skin on their hands had melted down to the bone. We're all afraid of something..." he trailed off and their was silence as Richie glanced behind himself. "You got that right." Richie said and then Eddie asked what Richie was afraid of. "Clowns." He replied simply and pushed his glasses back up His face, I glanced at the stage to see a dancing clown entertaining kids and I realised that it was similar to the clown that I had seen yet very different. This one was happy and funny while the one that I saw was scary and serious. After a silent moment everyone got up and said goodbye, Eddie walked me home and I didn't speak a word. Not even to my mother who asked me where I'd been, I barely heard her as I walked up the stairs in a daze. I went straight to sleep and tried to block out the bad dreams that threatened my mind that night.