39. goodbye.

"Aera, we should talk," Taehyung said and I shifted my gaze to him. "Please,"

I continued to stare at him. He wanted to talk? "I can't do this anymore—you ignoring me. We're graduating soon, shouldn't we get this problem over with before graduation?" He sighed and I looked away.

"Can you give me a moment to think," I replied, staring at my desk.

"Aera—,"

"Seriously, just let me think," I muttered, shutting my eyes. It was break time in class and most people went to the library or some were asleep. Hana and Jinyoung went to the library—for some weird reason—and Jungkook was asleep on his desk.

I sighed in frustration, running my hand through my hair. I had every right to be mad at Taehyung. But, he was there for me when no one else was. He was my best friend.

"Let's talk at the roof," I muttered, getting out of my seat and walking out.

I stared out into the cloudy blue sky whilst I tried to contain my thoughts.

"Taehyung," I began when he stood by my side. "Why did you do it?"

"I'm sorry. I couldn't tell you because I thought I could protect you by not telling you the truth," he confessed and I looked at him. "I knew it would hurt you to know the truth. If you knew my sister hurt your sister,"

"How is that protecting me if you don't tell me the truth? That makes the truth even more hurtful to know that you've been lying to me for two years," I stated. "To protect me? But still, even if you did it to protect me—wait—that actually makes no sense,"

"Aera—,"

"No, Taehyung, I think you did it to protect yourself and Mijin," I remarked, finally realizing it. "You couldn't tell me, because you knew I'd resent your sister and if I resented your sister, our friendship would splatter—like now."

He furrowed his brows, opening his mouth to speak but I cut him off. "Kim Taehyung," I spoke. "Were we really friends?"

I watched as he squeezed his eyes shut, running his hand through his hair. "Or did you just feel guilty about what your sister did to my sister? Friends tell each other the truth. They don't lie to each other," I said, my eyes beginning to get teary. "I trusted you,"

"No, Aera. I really—I really thought this was the right way! I thought that if I didn't tell you, I could protect you and Mijin. Mijin wouldn't let me tell you either." He cried out. "Aera, I tried giving you hints. I talked about Mijin maybe being the cause of Jin's death but you kept pushing it away!"

I stared at him whilst he wiped his face full of tears. "I'm sorry—really I am. This is my fault, I'll admit it. Just, please, I don't want our friendship to break."

I looked away, biting the insides of my cheek whilst my heart race increased. "We were friends since elementary school. I don't want to lose that bond," he said and I shut my eyes, feeling tears roll down my cheek.

"Taehyung," I mumbled. "You're my best friend and you've always protected me. You were always there when I needed you. But, when I needed you the most, you weren't there,"

"Aera," he whimpered.

"I won't hate you, Taehyung. But I can't say I'll understand you. I can't say it's not your fault either, but I want to thank you for telling me in the end," I said. "Because you've been there with me through thick and thin—I still love you, but this situation we're in... it hurts too much,"

I sighed, pursing my lips. "I want to get rid of this pain in my chest. I don't want to keep resenting you, but because I never thought you'd be the one to betray me... it's hard not to." I confessed, taking his hands. "I—want to thank you for being my best friend. And because we're graduating soon, I don't want to not be able to talk about this problem. So, for now, I'm not going to tell you if I'll forgive you, but I'll tell you that I still love you,"