Ninety-Seven

Down in his labs, Harry placed his new cauldron down with care and began to inspect it. It was in perfect condition and was well worth the money, it would last years, and even if the mix exploded then the cauldron wouldn't be damaged. Diamond cauldrons were near impossible to break – according to Salazar anyway. Harry had never worked with one himself, but he had watched Salazar use it twice before, it was been fascinating.

Harry placed a copy of his formula on his work station and cast a tempus, he cursed when he saw it was approaching dinner and hastily left, sealing the door as he went. He had most of the ingredients in both labs, but he would need to shed a tail feather and cry in his phoenix form – sometimes he was extremely thankful he had such an animagus form. Harry floo'd home and skipped in to the dining room, chirping his greetings to his family and took he is seat.

"Hey, Pup. Where have you been?" Sirius asked, eyebrows raised at his bright spirit.

"At the castle," He replied.

"How did your mission of 'whining until he agrees' work in getting the Dark Lord to take you shopping." Remus inquired, amusement lacing his tone. Harry looked at him with a grin.

"Moony, it's almost like you have no faith in me." Harry mock gasped and the werewolf laughed.

"I have faith, but the likelihood of anyone convincing the Dark Lord to be there shopping partner is nil."

"Well it just proves how wrong you are then, doesn't it?" Harry said slyly, and took copious amounts of pleasure when both of them choked.

"I'm sorry?" Sirius coughed and Harry outright smirked at them both.

"Marvolo took me shopping." He told them, extremely proud of himself, "My diamond cauldron is at the castle because I didn't want to bring it through the floo."

"You're lying!" Remus said stunned, "No way did you actually manage to convince the Dark Lord to take you shopping."

"Yes, I did. And I got a free book out of it because he scared Borgin in to submission." Harry said pulling out his book. They both looked at him in a stunned sort of incredulity and Harry grinned and began on his dinner.

"The Dark Lord took you shopping." Sirius muttered in disbelief, "Shopping,"

"We had quite a pleasant conversation as it were," Harry said thoughtfully, "Did you know that Marvolo can speak twenty different languages, human and magical?"

"No, I didn't." Remus replied almost absently, "I assume it isn't something most would know."

"He's fascinating." Harry said.

"Harrison, son, Pup," Sirius began slowly, hesitantly.

"Yes dad?"

"I love you, but you genuinely scare me." He said so seriously that both Harry and Remus cracked up.

"You just have to look at it from my point of view." Harry said once he had controlled his laughter, he was wiping his eyes where tears had escaped, "I was not a witness to the first war, I literally know the man from my own observations and how he interacts with me and Salazar. I do not fear him, I respect his power, I would foolish not to, but I do not fear him."

"I guess it would be different," Remus allowed.

"And didn't you speak to him, with uncle Lucius, in the ministry?" Harry asked his dad, "What was that like?"

"Pretty intense, but not what you would think. I suppose I see what you mean, when you don't think of the first war then he's like most other high end Lords, albeit a much more powerful and intimidating one." Sirius agreed eventually.