102

Down the in Potions labs, both Severus and Harry were hunched over the tables hastily making notes on their latest discussion. Severus, once he had discovered what Harry had left for him, had monopolised the boy's time to discuss exactly what properties the black phoenix had compared to the fire phoenix. This had brought a whole new discussion when it was discovered that black phoenixes could harm just as much as they could heal, and that, if used correctly/incorrectly, their tears and feathers could create a toxin near the strength of basilisk venom. Once he had discovered this, Severus had demanded that they use both tears and feathers and break them down with different methods to see how they reacted, Harry had shed a few more feathers and cried before taking a break to build up his strength as Severus prepared them.

Then, the pair of them had boiled, burned, seared, crushed, diced, chopped, sliced, cut, mashed, simmered, dried, shredded, peeled and strained the tears and feathers and noted down, with full detailed, the reaction to each process. They discovered that, in certain circumstanced, the tears reacted better and their healing propertied seemed to have been enhanced, and others, straining them for example, made them lethally toxic and they even burned through a cauldron. The feathers seemed to vary, they did find out that it was impossible to burn something which was fire based, and they also found out that if the feather was dried and then crushed, it created a fine powder that could create flames if jostled too much. Harry had sprinkled some of the powder on to the desk and it went up in flames, once he had put them out he discovered it had not damaged to wood at all and that lined up a whole new set of experiments for both master and upcoming master.

First, Harry wanted to see if he could manipulate it, as he had found the flames did not hurt him, and he found that if he focused he could tap in to the feelings of the flames and lead them. He could also make them burn if he wished. The next thing they tried was to see if the flames would burn Severus, Harry thought that maybe he was ok because of his phoenix and that they were his feathers, but his point turned out to be void when Severus stuck his hand in the flames and they merely crackled around him. He tried manipulating them and, while he had a harder job than Harry, he got it eventually and they found that it was only the person who had started the fire that could manipulate them.

It was an amazing find and it did only get better. Harry threw a handful of the powder down and walked in to it, he told Severus, who was noting everything down, that it felt like the floo flames, and he had jokingly said that it would be taking him to the library next. Absolutely nothing could have prepared him for him vanishing and appearing in the library, he stumbled and landed on the floor and didn't move for at least ten minutes, absolutely stunned. When he got himself together he bolted back down to the labs to find Severus all but gaping at the spot he had been in previously and Harry could not even blame him, they couldn't work out how or why, but they did test it on Severus and discovered that you could travel through the flames and through wards.

They wrote it off as a magical phenomenon and Harry had created some more to enable him to show Marvolo and Salazar, but they reason, with a side note, that it would be impossible to create on a large scale because of the rarity of phoenix feathers in general, let alone black phoenixes. Both Severus and Harry were all up for continuing when an elf popped in and informed them that food was being served, they were surprised to see it was dinner time and so they headed up.

"Ah, they are alive." Sirius greeted, "I was beginning to wonder."

"Dad! You would not believe what me and Sev have been doing. We've found a magical miracle." Harry told him excitedly, throwing himself down in his seat and helping himself to food.

"Oh?"

"Yeah, we've discovered miracle powder!"

"No, absolutely not." Severus stated, "You cannot call it that." Harry pouted.