1 - New Year

Walking up the stairs of the Hogwarts Express, Hermione smiled. She was excited to be back in her favorite place, only this time, they were finally safe from fear itself. It was a new year, a new day, a new Hogwarts.

Walking in the hallway of the train, she searched for an open compartment, knowing Harry and Ron were likely to be the last ones on the train. Either because they slept in or were bombarded by reporters. Hermione had only just escaped the reporters by arriving on the train so early. She quickly found an open compartment and claimed it as her own, putting her trunk on the top and shrinking it with a Reducio charm so it wouldn't break the above-head holder, seeing as it was cumbersome.

Sitting happily in silence, Hermione pulled out a book she had recently acquired titled, The Tales of Flynnigan Rider. She had picked it up one day during the summer while she was in the muggle world, it was a children's book, but she enjoyed it nonetheless. It gave her back the feeling of innocence she had lost so many years ago. Ten minutes later, her compartment door opens.

"Sorry, I didn't realize this was occupied." A voice says

"It's fine, I was just waiting for Harry and Ron." She says looking up from her book to meet stormy grey eyes

"I'll be going now. Goodbye." He says awkwardly, grabbing his small rucksack and leaving her to continue reading.

"Wait! Malfoy!" She yells making him stop in his tracks

"Come back here for a moment." She asks politely as he turns around and walks back to her compartment.

"Have a seat." She tells him as he sits down across from her

"So, How have you been?" She asks him

"Um...fine." He says awkwardly

"I just wanted to know how you were doing, with everything that's happened." She exhales

"I'm fine, Granger. Thanks for asking, but I'll be going now." He says coldly, grabbing his things and exiting the compartment.

Hermione sighs and goes back to reading, although she keeps reading the same sentence over and over again. She finds herself thinking about Draco Malfoy. How would he be treated at school? Would people treat him like a traitor? Like he didn't belong? Like how she was treated by him for being Muggle-born. Why she was worrying about him, she had no idea.

Finally clearing her head, she decides to close her book and wait for Harry and Ron to join her while looking outside people watching, seeing parents kiss their children goodbye for their first year at Hogwarts, older kids waving goodbye to their parents because they didn't want to be embarrassed, and groups of kids reuniting after not seeing each other for several months.

It wasn't like that for Hermione this time, she went on without hugging anyone, her parents didn't see her off, and she got no kiss goodbye and no wave. Why would she? She hadn't been successful in finding her parents. She had spent all summer looking, yet she was still unsuccessful.

Interrupting her thoughts, the door opens, revealing Luna asking her if she had seen Neville as she hadn't seen him since the end of the war. (She had been traveling all summer looking for mythical creatures that Hermione was one hundred percent sure didn't exist.)

"No, I haven't. I've been sitting here for twenty minutes, so I haven't seen him. Sorry Luna, but it was nice to see you." She smiles as Luna smiles and leaves, continuing on her search for Neville.

Hermione continues looking out of her window, searching for mops of raven and ginger hair. Knowing they would be together since Harry had been staying at the Weasleys all summer long.

Another ten minutes pass, and Hermione starts getting worried. It was getting close to eleven o'clock. They had missed the train before. Idiots, they were.

Suddenly Hermione's door slams open and in a rush the two boys in question.

"Hermione! I missed you so much!" Ron smiles running over to hug his girlfriend

"I know Ron. How did you manage to get to the train without me seeing you? You scared me to death!" She asks in disbelief

"Oh, come on, Hermione! We weren't gonna get bothered by reporters! We used the cloak. Sorry bout that..." Harry laughs

"It's fine...Where's Ginny?" She asks realizing Ron's sister wasn't there

"She forgot something at the house and had to go back to grab it. Hope she doesn't miss the train by getting stopped by reporters." Ron laughs

"Harry! Don't you think you should have gone with her and maybe used the cloak for her too? She is your girlfriend, after all." She scoffs

"Well, then Ron would have been left to fend for his own!" Harry defends

"He could have gone with you." She says like it's the most obvious thing in the world

"Maybe we should go get her?" Harry suggests

"You can go, I'm staying right here." Ron smirks, taking a seat across from Hermione

"You two never fail to amaze me." Hermione rolls her eyes

"But you love us." Ron smiles, leaning in to kiss Hermione as Harry leaves, pulling the cloak over him.

"I'm really glad you guys stayed to complete your education instead of becoming Aurors." Hermione smiles pulling away from their kiss

"Well, we couldn't leave you and Ginny alone to be snatched up by some other guys now, could we?" He smiles

"Who are you, and what have you done to Ron?" She laughs

"A whole summer and a war change people 'Mione." He sighs

"I was joking, Ron. You're not that different, maybe just a little more loving than before." She smiles leaning into him

"When you lose your brother, it really puts things and people into perspective. Makes you see that you could lose anybody at any time." He sighs, and Hermione feels a pang in her chest. He had lost his brother. They had both lost so many people. Everyone had. Everyone knew someone who had been killed in the Second Wizarding War. Everyone. Especially those who were at Hogwarts when it happened. It had changed everyone. For better or worse, she had still yet to decide.

\\~//

Harry and Ginny had returned ten minutes later and had managed to get by without being interrupted by reporters or missing the train. They arrived barely in time. It was 10:56 my Hermione's watch and a few minutes later, they would have missed the train for sure.

Once the train leaves the station to head to Hogwarts, they all start discussing their summers with one another, although only Hermione didn't know what happened as the three were together the entire summer. She was off searching for her parents to return their memories and regain them as parents. Her summer was utterly awful and lonely, and she was glad to return to her favorite happy place. Albeit many of the students that made it so wonderful would no longer be there. It would be a different atmosphere now.

Everything had changed. It still was. She just didn't know how much.
\\~//

Hello! My name is Shelby and I will be the author for your time here! First I have a few disclaimers:

I do not own Harry Potter (duh) or any of J.K Rowlings Characters or her wonderful imagination. However, I will be creating a few characters of my own!

Next, I will be changing a few things to make it fit better, like bringing a character back to life who may have died in the series or the other way around (aka killing someone off...sorry). I also realize that Harry and Ron did not go back to complete their schooling and went straight to becoming aurors but I changed that to fit better with my story. If I change anything else I will be sure to let you know!

Finally, This is all for the pure enjoyment of myself. I will not tolerate any harmful or rude comments, however, I welcome helpful criticism! If you see an error or mistake please tell me so I can fix it and make your enjoyment of the story better!

Thanks for choosing me! May the odds be ever in your favor...or well, the character's favor.

Fav, comment, and fan!

Xx, Shelby