2 - Sorting

Hermione pulled her hair back into a plait as the train halted at the Hogwarts station, and all the students began to leave the train, first years following Hagrid and the rest of us on the carriages.

No one spoke about the thestrals that they could all now see. It was an uncomfortable silence on the ride to the castle. No one dared to talk...and if someone did, no one answered.

Finally, the thestral-pulled carriages came to a slow stop as the students arrived. They all exited their carriage and walked up to their home for the next several months. Ron and Hermione walked together, hands clasped around each other as if holding on for life.

"It's gonna be different, isn't it?" She asks him

"Completely. McGonagall is the headmistress. There's a new Dark Arts teacher, I don't know who he is though. Maybe we'll have a normal year. Everything is over now. No more death. No more sadness. Just happiness." He tells her squeezing her hand

"Where did that come from? I really hope you're right." She sighs as they continue walking into Hogwarts and up the stairs to the Great Hall to beat the first-year students so they will be in their places when they arrive from the boats.

Once all of the students who are not first years have arrived in the Great Hall and found their tables, McGonagall announces to everyone that they would be entering the Great Hall in a few minutes once she gave them a small speech.

Two minutes later, McGonagall walks back through the doors of the Great Hall, followed by a group of first years.

Once Professor McGonagall reached the front of the great hall, she makes a few announcements and then pulls out a list of names to be sorted.

"I will call your name, you will come up, and I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your Houses. There are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. While you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points, any rule-breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points will be awarded. Let's begin. Skye Roberts."

A girl with blond hair steps up and takes a seat on the stool, she is sorted into Hufflepuff. Next is a boy named Doug Wright, who is sorted into Ravenclaw. This goes on for several more minutes until all of the first years have been sorted.

"Before the feast begins. I would like all of the seventh and eighth-year students to stay after, we have something to discuss. I would also like to introduce you to your new Defense Against The Dark Arts and Potion Professors, Professor Kraus and Professor Merricks. Now, let the feast begin!" McGonagall yells, and food appears on all of the tables.

Ron, Harry, Ginny, and Hermione are all eating happily and discussing the upcoming school term when suddenly the Minister for Magic strolls into the Great Hall disrupting everyone's thoughts, conversations, and meals.

Everyone was basically finished eating by the time Kingsley Shacklebolt strolled in.

"If everyone has finished, please follow your prefects to your common rooms, Prefects please return after. We have to discuss something once you arrive back." McGonagall says solemnly

"This can't be good. What else do we need? We just went through a war!" Ron whispers to his friends as they all shrug simultaneously, getting more worried by the minute.

Ten minutes later, the prefects all arrive back in the Great Hall to everyone, whispering and wondering what was happening.

"Sit down, everyone. Minister Shacklebolt has some news to discuss with all of you. I'm afraid you may not like it, so please stay silent until he finishes." McGonagall finishes giving the spotlight to The Minister.

"Now, as you know, since the war, there has been a large decrease in the wizarding community. There has also been a decrease in magical children being born. A new law has come to pass. It states that any witch and wizard from the ages of 17 to 25 must be married and produce a child in the next two years. Being married by the end of next term." He ends.

Students start yelling things

"This isn't fair!"

"We just ended a war, and now this!"

"This is rubbish!"

"Silence! Those who do not comply with this law will have their wands snapped and magic taken away. To make this simple as possible, you will all be sorted with a spouse via a new sorting hat. This new hat does not make mistakes, you are to be sorted with your soulmate, not any ordinary spouse. Once sorted, you will return to your new rooms and a common room that you will share with three other couples. We will begin the sorting now. Please do cooperate, it will make it easier on all of us." He says as an elf brings out the new sorting hat, stool, and list of students.

"First, Hannah Abbott."

Hannah slowly walks up to the hat, which speaks a quick poem, and sorts her with Neville Longbottom.

"Harry Potter."

"The Chosen One to find out his chosen one.

How nervous you must feel,

I have faith you won't squeal.

So now I will reveal.

Ginny Weasley!" The hat bursts as Harry runs down and hugs his girlfriend

The hat runs through most of the students until finally, Hermione's name is called.

There were six students, including Hermione left. Ron, Draco, Blaise, Luna, and Pansy are the other five.

"The smartest witch of her generation.

Come to take the stage.

I hope you will soon be filled with admiration,

and that you won't be filled with rage.

So as you come of age. You will learn I was correct.

Soon you will engage, though it may not be what you expect.

Draco Malfoy!" The hat yells

Everyone in the room has frozen. No one moved a muscle. This was one thing that was definitely not expected. The Slytherin Prince with the Gryffindor Princess. Finally, Hermione stood up, she was the first one in the hall to move. Slowly, she made her way to where Draco was standing, not daring to make eye contact, she sat down at the Ravenclaw table where all the matched couples had already been sitting.

Moving on, Luna is sorted with Blaise, and Ron with Pansy. Everyone had been completely shocked by the last three couples.

"Now that everyone is sorted, I will now decide your new room assignments..." McGonagall says and starts sorting people into common room assignments

Harry, Ginny, Hermione, Draco, Ron, Pansy, Blaise, and Luna were all sharing a common room together.

Four Gryffindors, three Slytherins, and a Ravenclaw were all sharing a common room together, which was sure to be hectic.

Slowly and uncomfortably All of the seventh and eighth-year students walked to their common rooms for the next school term. The entire school was silent. No one dared to speak a word. No one even wanted to. For the first time in a while, Hogwarts was utterly silent.
\\~//

Chapter 2 is Finished! I hope you're enjoying reading it as much as I am writing it! Till next time!

This chapter accidentally got deleted! So sorry it's a few minutes late

Xx Shelby