Chapter Three

*Annalisa*

“Anna?” I spin around at my name being called, the familiar voice echoing around the room as a laugh emits from his mouth before he repeats my name, “Anna!”

This time more cheerfully, not a question but almost as an answer.

I watch as his brown eyes light up as he makes his way over to me. I let out a laugh myself making my way towards him, his brown hair still styled the same in waves, black rimmed glasses framed his gorgeous eyes, black ink forever imprinted on his forearm in the shape of a snake, a viper to be precise.

I was so close, an arms distance away, almost in his arms and then the glow left him, two deafening bangs went through the room, gun shots.

His, once happy face, turns to shock as he gapes at me before looking down at his stomach, my eyes also travel down to his stomach, two holes now sat on the white shirt, the surrounding area turning bright red with blood like a bullseye, that grew bigger and bigger.

A quiet and choked, “Kade?” leaves my lips as he coughs out an, “Anna?” in response.

I slowly look up to his paling face as he looks up to me, his eyes then averting to over my shoulder, I follow his gaze turning around to see the dark blonde haired and blue eyed lady holding the pistol, still aimed at him.

Tara Reyes.

An older version of me.

A smirk crosses her face as she cocks her head to the right, “Third times the charm.”

It takes a few seconds for the meaning to sink in and by the time I spin around to warn him the final shot is fired sinking into Kaiden Mathis’s chest.

I sit up with a jolt, slick with sweat, feeling as though no air was getting to my lungs, feeling as though I was suffocating here in the bed.

One night.

One night was all I needed without nightmares, was that too much to ask for.

At least this time I didn’t wake to an arm around my waste weighing me down.

I jolt awake, the nightmare was different yet the same, either way someone hurt Kade or Rob or Shae.

I simply couldn’t win no matter how hard I tried, the alcohol I’d consumed last night, I couldn’t remember the last time I’d drunk that much, in fact I couldn’t remember what happened last night.

It was at that moment I realised why I hadn’t sat up in my lovely being jolted awake, there was an arm across my middle.

For a few seconds I forgot where I was, thought that the past month had been a dream, that I was currently lying in a bed with Kade, then as a nose nuzzled my neck I remembered.

Flinging myself out of my bed –

I tense at the sound of someone opening my ‘bedroom’ door, it was more of a prison to me, the memory of that night a few days ago leaving my mind as my eyes and focus turn to the door. “Finally,” I clench my teeth at the voice as she walks in, “You’re awake.”

Tara Reyes, blonde lifeless hair – a shade darker than my own, that probably used to have a bounce to it – and blue eyes that were darker than mine but had long since lost their shine.