Chapter Eight

*Kade*

“Brandon Pierce!” I pull the phone away from my ear at Robin’s yell, waving my hand in James’s direction as he looks over at me confused as to what the muffled yell was.

I sigh and rub my eyes under my glasses, “Yes Robin, that is what I said.”

The man on the other end of the phone goes silent, all I can hear is his breathing, “Are you sure?” He says in a quiet tone, “Damn it Kaiden, are you sure?”

Robin’s voice gets louder when I take too long to respond. “There’s pictures Rob.” I say under my breath, looking out the window as James lights yet another cigarette. “He’s got someone James is searching for. He’s got Anna. He’d got the upper hand. I don’t know what to do Rob. It’s Brandon fucking Pierce.”

Yes because adding that word just made you feel better, I think to myself as I clench the metal device in my hands.

How had Tanner failed to mention that, how had Trevor not known?

“This changes things you know that right Kade?” Robin says in a quieter voice than before, “Come back, we can get a group to help us and,”

“Who Rob?” I interrupt with a snap, “Who would be insane enough to help us against a Pierce, no one would that’s who.”

“Come back Kaiden please, there’s nothing you and de Lamire can do, not just the two of you.”

I clench my eyes shut before relaxing completely and sitting down on the edge of the couch of the motel room we were in as James continues to flick through channels before settling on a motorbike race, something’s never change I can’t help but think remembering all the times James and I used to fix motorbikes when we were younger.

“We’ll think of something Rob, but I can’t come home. But I do need your help, please.” I add at the end, remembering how I’d offended him by not letting him come with me.

I hear the man sigh and wait a few seconds before he responds, “What do you need?”

“Land owned by the Pierce’s around here. Message me where they live, where they hang out, we need somewhere to start.” I say still sitting on the edge of the seat.

If he said no, James and I wouldn’t have a back plan.

“Give me an hour, perhaps two, and I’ll back to you.” Robin finally says and I let out the breath I hadn’t realised I was holding, leaning back in the seat, flashing a thumbs up at James as he looks over at me.

“Thank you Rob, thank you so much.”

“Sit tight buddy.” Is what he leaves me with before swiftly hanging up.

As I drop the cell phone into my lap I can’t help but let my mind wonder back to the last time Robin had told me to ‘sit tight buddy’, I’d been 16.

“It’s bullshit!” I growl throwing a strong swing at the black punching bag that was swinging on it’s chain. “’I’m sorry kid but you can’t fight.’” I mimic the man who’d said those words to me in a rather unattractive matter.

I didn’t miss the snort that left Robin’s lips as he leaned against the wall and watched as I pretty much just over worked myself.

“A few months Kaiden, a few months and you’ll be beating their asses.” He assures me as he turns to look up at the clock on the gym wall. “Go shower, I’ve still got to drive you home.”

I roll my eyes at his words but nonetheless after throwing one last punch at the bag I step back, removing the gloves from my hands, chucking them at Robin who had his hands outstretched for them.