Chapter Six

*Kade*

“How’d you do it?” I question as we drive along the coastline.

“Do what?” James asks, sparing a quick glance in my direction before returning them to the road.

We’d been driving for at least an hour in complete silence, my thoughts staying on Anna the entire time.

Three weeks.

That’s all it’s been since I’ve seen her. Since I’ve heard her voice. “Tanner, he’s a sly one. I’ll tell you that.” James says absentmindedly after I don’t answer his question.

“In what way?” I question drumming my fingers on my thigh.

How long was this drive?

“Thirteen schools all up, he’s a juvi kid, got two kids. That little girl he was protecting wasn’t his only child.” James adds as I look at him. “I’m not saying I approve of him taking Evans but I can see why he did what he did. He already lost one kid.”

James slows down the car and I look around our surroundings. “Wow, nice lead.” I mutter almost annoying. “I swear if this is a prank.”

“Just patience Mathis, I’m supposed to be the agitated one remember?” He tries to ease me, not that it worked all that much.

“What are we waiting for?” I grumble after a couple of minutes.

I watch as a smirk crosses James’ lips. “That.” Is all he gives me before pushing the car door open and getting out.

“That. Did you actually just say that.” I say more so to myself as I climb out the car, staring at the figure as he got closer. “Trevor?”

“Mathis.” The older boy greets me with a smile. “Hello James. Here’s what you requested.” With that Trevor hands over an envelope. “My deal is done, yes?”

“Yes it is, here.” At that James passes Trevor a much smaller envelope before Trevor, with one last wave turned around and walked away.

James going back to the car. “You coming Mathis?”

I stare after Trevor for a few more seconds, waiting for him to get back in the car that I hadn’t seen as we pulled over before turning around and following James back to the car.

James and I both stand at the doors on our side of the car, “I’m surprised,” James says, tilting his head slightly, “That you haven’t asked what that was yet.”

I open the car door and sit down, James following a few seconds later, the envelope on his lap, “I’m assuming it has something to do with the little lead you have, so I’m guessing you’re about to tell me.”