Chapter Nine

*Annalisa*

“Lisa, why are you frowning?” I jump, causing pain to flare all throughout my body as I spin around, tearing my eyes away from my reflection to look down at my little sister, Shae in surprise, the small blonde haired and blue eyed three year old tilts her head as she inspects my face, something that I’d been doing before she came in. “What happened Lisa?”

I give the girl a small half smile, it was the most I could give her, both because it hurt to use my cheek muscles and because I wasn’t in a smiling mood. “Nothing to worry about Shae, I’m fine.” I say kneeling down so I was her height, all my muscles protesting even more as I did so.

A massive grin crossed her face as she believed my words and stepped forward to hug me.

I tense as she makes contact but force myself to relax as I hold her in my arms. “I love you Shae-Bear.” I whisper in her ear.

She pulls back her blues eyes trained on my own as she plays with my hair before little touching the graze and bruise on my cheek. “I love you too Lisa-Bear.” She grins, “Are you staying for dinner?”

The thought of my father seeing me like this was too painful to think about, I didn’t even want Shae to have seen me all battered and bruised, I’d just come home for clothes and to shower.

The showering part I’d already done, “No.” I whisper, hating the way her face fell slightly, “Does anyone else know I’m here?”

She shakes her head enthusiastically. “Nuh uh.” Her voice drops to a whisper at my words.

To her this was a game.

Don’t let anyone know Annalisa was home.

She hated it because it meant I wasn’t there, but also liked it cause it was fun to her.

“Mummy,” Erica, I mentally correct Shae’s words to myself, “is home, but out the back. Daddy at work.” She informs me. “Are you going now?”

I lean forward, ignoring the slight complaint my back gave at the gesture, “Yeah I am. Make sure the hall is clear for me whilst I go to my room?”

Shae gives me another hug before stepping back and giving me a salute, “I do that for you, Lisa.”

I smile at her as she walks out the door and I go into my room, emptying my bag into the laundry basket in my room and going to my wardrobe to refill it with clean clothes.

I suppose this was my way of telling my dad that I was home, he’d come into my room and see that the laundry basket had clothes in it.

I never meant for him to wash them, I used to do it myself but I think in a way it gave him comfort. I was alive, I was changing clothes, I needed more and Shae probably let slip to dad that I’d been here.

I shove all the fresh clothes in my duffle the best I can and take a look around the room. I hadn’t changed it since I was 14, it hadn’t changed at all in those two years. No one moved anything.

I’d bet anything Erica had constantly suggested they do something else with my room.

“Lisa, you need to go now, other mummy,” Erica, “Is gonna be inside.”

I nod at the little girl as she runs into my room.

“Love you.” I whisper kissing the top of her head before standing up, ruffling her hair lightly and bolting down the hallway.