Chapter Twenty Two | The Worst Things Happen To The Best People

I stared at my bedroom ceiling,rain thundered against the roof.The scent of smoke filled my nose.I was too afraid to go asleep,I faced away from Romeo.I trembled as I thought about it again.My son was gone.He wasn't the only one,Nova and Gale were taken.It was revealed that Nashi and Igneel had also been taken.Rosemary and Lucy as well,Asuka had a close call but was defended by Cana.Many more were taken,citizens came forward wondering if Fairy Tail had an idea to where their loved ones were.They were quietly spoken too about the problem.

I let more tears drop from my eyes,I held the blanket in my fists as I tried not to wake Romeo up.I breathed in and out,but it only made it worse.Then I felt Romeos arm on me,"I can't sleep,"whispered Romeo.I froze,then I heard him sigh and push his hair back.He didn't disrupt me though,I wasn't sure if I should speak.Then he laughed quietly,not a joyful laugh.A small laugh,filled with distaste and sadness.He laid his head down and I felt his breath against my neck.

"Because you're asleep,I'm going to tell you how I feel.I feel incredibly scared,not going to lie.Im tired as hell and I just want everyone back.I'm worried,about you,Kasai,Dad and Wakaba.The guild,or I should say guilds.I sound insane but I saw something I never want to remember,or want to ever happen."

Romeo stopped."I don't want everyone to die,this war is because of me.He just needs someone else to blame,so he blamed it on you.I'm sorry,"whispered Romeo.I could feel how miserable he felt,somehow,it made me feel worse then I felt before.I rolled over,and looked at Romeo."He hates all the guilds,from what I can see.You shouldn't blame yourself,for anything,"I whispered.

"I'm sorry,did I wake you up?"

I smiled and shook my head,my hand played with his purple hair."No,Ive been awake since you decided we need rest.I can't sleep,"I answered.Romeo nodded,my hand slid down to his cheek.He gave me a small smile,but I could tell it was forced.He placed his hand on top of mine,then looked at my hand."You're knuckles are bruised,"commented Romeo.I nodded,I punched a lot of people.

"They don't hurt."

Romeo nodded,somehow just him talking made me forgot about Kasai.In a good way,he calmed down my nerves and washed away my worries.Romeo moved closer,our bodies pressed against each other.Not a single inch wasn't touching.I kissed him,Romeo didn't hesitate in kissing me back.When I pulled back,I looked at his eyes."Don't ever leave me again?Please.You left me once,now Kasai's gone.Its like everyone I love eventually leaves,"I confessed.

"I'm not going to leave you.Not everybody you love disappears."

I scoffed,"Grandeeny?Porlyuscia?Cait Shelter?Mystogan?Carla?I could go on Romeo,"I said.Romeo shook his head,he tucked a piece of hair behind my ear."Carla never left you,"said Romeo.I mirrored his previous actions.His hair fell messily over his eyes,I loved it's length but I knew it was bothering him.I pushed it away and played with the curls before I replied.

"She did,in a way.She left to go to Edolas."

"Because she loves it there,Wendy.If she asked you to leave Fairy Tail,would you?"asked Romeo.I shook my head,he had a fair point there."I know you don't want to,but you have to rest,"he said.I nodded slightly,pretending to be thinking.

"It's probably two in the morning,you need sleep."

I nodded again,I felt Romeo take a deep breath.He kissed the top of my head,warmth spread through me."Please try to sleep,"said Romeo.I nodded again.Romeo closed his eyes,yet he kept his arms around her.I didn't want to push him away,but I couldn't sleep either.I decided to stay awake.

________________

The moment my clock hit five I was out of bed.Romeo didn't notice,he was that tired.I had a quick shower and changed into a pair of long pants and a jumper.I walked into Kasais room,photos laid out across the floor.

I sprayed the photos in front of me,then I neatly stacked them in the box.I admired each one,I found a beautiful photo that made me think it was my wedding day.It was for my eighteenth birthday,I wore a long white dress and Romeo had dress pants and a dress shirt on.His hair was terribly combed to the side (although he looked handsome anyway).His arms were underneath my legs and on my back,we were laughing and I guess we didn't know the photo had been taken.I looked at the messy dark writing on the back;

Wendy's Eighteenth,Romeo and Wendy.
Taken by Macao.

I looked at the others,photos of Kasai learning how to walk or photos of the guild members holding Kasai.I began to pack the photos away,tearing my eyes away from the photos of my son.I looked at the clock by the time I was done.Seven in the morning.Kasai would've been awake,he would be getting ready to eat breakfast then he would get dressed.Why was he taken away from me?

"What are you doing in here?"

I looked up,Romeo stood there still in shorts and a t-shirt.It fit his body well,tight in all the perfect places.I admired his muscles under the shirt,I admit over the years he turned out to be devilishly handsome.I shook my head mentally,I couldn't get distracted.But he's been missing for two years!I thought.He repeated the question,then he stepped forward.I stood up and dusted my legs off,although there was no dust to begin with.

"Did you sleep at all?Wendy you can't just do this-..."

I cut him off,"I'm fine.Okay?Im okay,I'm just not tired,"I answered.Romeo didn't buy it,his hands caressed my cheek."I told you before,you need sleep,"said Romeo.I looked down,his gaze was intense.Had it always been that intense?I shook my head and looked down.He grabbed my chin and lifted my head up,I gave him a weak smile.He saw through it.

"I know everything is going to shit right now,but the worst things happen to the best people.Remember?"

I nodded,remembering every time I quoted it.Romeo kissed my forehead,then my lips.I wrapped my arms around his neck and pressed myself against him.Romeo grabbed my thighs and picked me up,he pressed me against the door.My hands found themselves in his hair,I breathed in his scent that I had missed.Oh god I missed him.

His lips trailed away from my mouth,down my jaw,to my ear and down my neck.Each kiss lead to a more intense feeling.Had it always been that intoxicating?Romeo went back to my lips,he kissed and I moved in sync.He carried me to our bedroom,I broke apart when he laid me down.I forgot about everything,the guild,Hisao,Kasai.It was just them,nobody else in that moment.Then Romeo grinned and pulled back.

"This can continue,after you've slept."

I slapped him on the arm,smiling."I hate you,"I muttered.Romeo laughed,his arms still on my waist.He hovered above me,then leaned down and kissed me."You don't hate me.I'm watching out for you,"he replied.He pushed my hair away and then put his face in between my neck and shoulders.I played with his hair.I sucked in a breath.

"You know,I don't think I can hate you.We're mates,I'm stuck with you now."

Romeo chuckled and kissed me again.It was long and passionate,his hand grazed my thigh and I moaned.He placed his hand on my thigh firmly.Then Romeo pulled back,I was tempted to hit him again.But then I saw the softness in his gaze and I melted into his hand.He smiled,the softness mirroring his eyes.

"What a terrible thing that is."