Chapter 5 and 6

Battle Scars

Chapter 5-6

*******************

I'm sitting on the floor with Shawn. We are playing with the toys we got from our 4th birthday last month.

The phone starts ringing.

Shawn's mommy answers it.

She starts to frown and then She moans "NO"

Shawn and I get up and walk over to her.

"What's wrong Mommy?" Shawn pulls on her shirt tail.

"There's been an accident." Shawn's mom says an then looks at me.

"What kind of accident?" I ask

Shawn's mom turns on the news channel.

The movie that's on has a lot of smoke and fire in these two really tall buildings.

They look like where my mommy and daddy work.

My mommy and daddy work in the very top of this really big building. It's awesome.

"What movie is this?" Shawn and I both ask her.

"Sweeties. This isn't a movie.....this is really happening. Bailee...... Your mom and dad-" she starts crying. Well harder than she had been before.

"What about mommy and Daddy?!" I shout as I start to cry. She is making me very scared.

"Baby. They. They- they are gone."

"Gone where?" I ask her. What is she talking about

"They went to heaven sweetie."

****************

I jump.

It was the nightmare. The memory.

This happens all the time, but yet I still can't control the amount of tears that escape me.

I feel arms wrap around my body. Shawn had woken up to my cries.

"Shhhhhhh. I've got you baby."

I put my legs on each side of his body and burry my head in his shoulder.

Shawn rubs my back and whispers in my ear, "Shhhhhh......it's over now. I've got you"

I keep crying in his shoulder.

"It was the dream again!" I manage to choke out in between sobs.

"I know. I know. I wish you didn't have to feel that again. "

"Do you remember that day Shawn?" I ask

"I remember the part about your parents...after that I just kind of blanked the rest of the week."

"Oh...Have you ever dr-dreamed about it?"

"Sometimes. But my breaking point and yours are at two completely different spots." He says

"What do you m-mean"

"Well. When you reach your breaking point in a dream you do the jump and you wake up. Well you always wake up after.......and well I wake up after. I have to set and listen to your screams. Watch you cry. And just right in the middle of your screams I just....wake up." He explains.

"Oh." I untangle myself from Shawn's body so he can go back to bed. He stops me.

"No. I want to stay." He kisses a tear from my cheek and leans his forehead against mine.

"Okay." I say

(Picture: Again Shawniee Baby Cakes)