Chapter 30

Battle Scars

Chapter 30

*HAYES POV*

She takes in a shallow breath as her hands shake.

"Bailee...its okay. You can tell me." I say and rub my hand over her arm.

"Well....the night of prom...Shawn and I," she stops in the middle of her sentence.

"Oh- I understand." I reassure her so that she doesn't have to finish.

I rub my forehead and sigh.
I really can't imagine Bailee doing.....that with Shawn.

"That's not all though." She sighs. She squints her eyes trying to hold back tears and let's put her breath.

"I got pre-pregnant." I gasp and she turns her head.

"You think I'm terrible don't you?" She says as her whole body shakes with dad tremors.

While I don't think she should have done that, I do not think any less of her.

"No. Of course not. Wait....please tell me you didn't have an a-" he trails of as his eyes linger over my abdomen.

"Oh, god no! I could never, and would never, ever do that!" she says.

"Shortly after we left here, I started feeling bad. I...took a couple pills and woke up in a hospital. No baby. He was dead." She puts her hands on her head a I rub her back gently.

She's been through so much.

"He?" I ask.

"Yeah. When the doctors came in, they said that he didn't make it. My son."

She whimpers and I pull her onto my lap so I can rock her back and forth.

"Shhhhh- relax Bailee. I'm sorry. I've got you." I whisper little comfort words into her ear. Anything to make her feel better.

"Thank you so much Hayes. How can you not hate me? I'm a terrible, disgusting person." She looks at me with her bright, shining eyes and my heart melts.

I'm filled with an emotion I can easily identify, even though I've never felt it before.

"I could never hate you Bailee." I tell her.

"His name was Luke." She smiles.

I feel a little comfort that she shared this with me when I didn't even ask.

"He has a wonderful mother Bailee. Don't you forget it." I wipe her tears.

"Had." She says.

"Had." I repeat.

I kissed her forehead and layed her gently on her bed, and I knew at that moment, I was in love with Bailee Aurora Caniff.

(Photo: Hayes either being blinded by his love for Bailee or someone who didn't turn off their flash.)