Chapter 1- To have hope

Follow me on IG at *the_goldenjournal

"Adda Amani DanAllah zo ki ga Abu(Adda Amani please come and see something)" Came laylas voice from the living room.

Amani was trying to rest a bit before heading of for her night shift, but layla seemed hell bent on disturbing her sleep.

"Me nene kuma(what is it now?)" Came the muffled reply as her head was pushed into her pillow.

"This question here says that you've just performed a simple appendectomy on a patient and twenty four hours later, your patient still has a high fever, what could be the possible causes?"

Amani groaned loudly so that her sister could hear her, but she couldn't ignore her too so she lazily pulled herself up and made for the living room.

"Mama please tell layla that peoples lives depend on her letting me sleep after I've answered this one question" Amani said as she sat on the couch next to layla who chuckled at the same time as their mother who was making a phone call.

"Okay so there are five main reasons, they're called the five w's" she began explaining, "one is wind, it means there might be something wrong with the patients lungs. Two is wound, meaning the incision may be infected. Three is water, maybe the urinary catheter inserted during surgery is infected, a UTI or something. Four is walking, this has to so with the veins. Five is wonder drugs, might be a blood reaction to the antibiotics or other administered drugs" she finished with a yawn.

"Adda I honestly wish I had your brain, baki da matsala( you don't have a problem)" layla replied laying back on the couch.

"So that's a thank you then I hear" Amani teased nudging her shoulder a bit.

"It's a thank you and I love you" she answered tackling her in a bear hug which ended in a fit of giggles from both of them.
"Med school will be a breeze insha Allah" Layla said "because I have a genius sister I can always count on"

"And I'll always be here, to answer all your questions and go through it with you"Amani replied and they burst into another fit of giggles

🌺🌺🌺🌺

*Amani*
I sat on the chair next to layla's hospital bed, all hope gone, tears finished just staring at her lifeless looking form. After they brought her out from surgery yesterday saying that had tried to repair all damage and stop all bleeding, but the next twenty four hours could very well determine if she would make it or not.
Her heart had stopped that night and they had to resuscitate her.

Sometimes in life hope is all you have to hold on to, but as a doctor, I only knew that the chances of layla coming out of this coma were very slim, but as layla's sister I was holding on to that slim chance.

I wished with all my heart that I stayed home that day, maybe I'd be able to have protected her. She didn't deserve to die like this.

My baby sister had so much to live for, she was going to become a doctor and save tons of lives.

As Muslims we welcome qadr with open arms, but we are told to pray for it to change in our favor as well.
So I had prayed long and hard for God to please just give me back my sister, I prayed and prayed but she was still lying there.

Just then a nurse walked in with Dr chukwu, the surgeon who had operated on layla, they came in and shut the door.
"Miss Suleiman I hope you don't mind us interrupting, but there is something we need to talk about" he said softly

"I know" I replied "you want to tell me everything that's going on and tell me how you're doing your best to save my sister" The doctor tried to speak but I wasn't done yet.