Chapter 18

Follow me on IG at *the_goldenjournal

*Third Person*

It was nightfall already, Amani looked out the window she'd been standing at for the last thirty minutes or so, she saw someone out there, it wasn't an illusion.

The temporary moment of calm she'd experienced when her knight in shinning armor rode in on a white horse and swooped her away to his castle for safety was fading away as she stood there doing what she did best, overthinking.

No one could blame her though, she was a surgeon and thinking about every possible worst case scenario was monogrammed into her system.

Ali on the other hand had come out of the bathroom where he'd just had a shower, he wasn't clad in just a towel as he normally was when he left the shower, he was in a dark blue bath robe, he didn't want to scare Amani into thinking he had an ulterior motive for asking her to stay with him tonight, he really did just want her in his arms when he fell asleep, it was cheesy, but aren't we all sometimes?

He went into his walk in closet and changed into a light brown jallabiyya, she was still standing there, she'd been standing there since she changed into her blue and white bubu nightwear, he wasn't nervous about the intruder, but he made sure they had security because it would make her more comfortable. Tomorrow he was going to look into it and possibly have to up their security, he had been warned after all.

he sighed looking over to where she was standing near the bedroom window that over looked the backyard, her arms crossed at her chest and her finger tapping vigorously on her arm, her bottom lip was pulled into her mouth, all the signs of a nervous person, but even at that she looked so beautiful that Ali couldn't help but lean on the closet door and drink in her sight for a few seconds.

Her hair was packed in a high bun exposing the back of her neck, it looked shinier and straighter than it usually did, her skin looked flawless and caramel like under a combination of moonlight streaming through the window and the golden chandelier light illuminating them from above. She was gorgeous, she always was and he sometimes couldn't believe she had just tripped and fell into his life without him having to do anything actually.

He feared that he wouldn't live up to her expectations because of that very fact, he didn't have to work to get her in his life, she was part of Gods plan for him he often thought. He used to admire her when they were just mere colleagues at the hospital, she was beautiful no doubt, but she was also brilliant and smart, funny and witty with the way she always had a sarcastic comeback for his signature smartass comments. But he didn't have the guts to actually do something about that teenage boy crush he had, and just as quickly, he'd found out that they were getting married.

And everyday he woke up married to her it had only gotten better and better, but something about his innocent brilliant wife that he began to see was the darkness in her eyes, that which she tried so hard to hide from everyone with that breath taking smile of hers, but her eyes betrayed her, every time he looked into her light brown orbs, he became lost in a sea of stories waiting to be let out, it may not be obvious to everyone, but he saw with poignant clarity that those eyes held so much pain, pain which he wanted to take a way so badly it physically hurt.

Amani was strong no doubt but perhaps those things that she was strong about may actually be haunting her.

Possibly why she hadn't been able to calm down since she'd been standing nervously overlooking the garden for the past forty minutes. He sighed and walked up to her gently putting his hands on her shoulders which were tense.

"You need to relax" he said slowly easing the tension of her shoulders with his fingers. "Perhaps lie down and sleep"

Amani sighed and turned to face her husband who had worry etched all over his face. She nodded and sat down on the black chaise lounge near the window and Ali obliged seating near her seeing as that was all he was going to get her to do, one thing he'd learned is that there was no forcing Amani to do anything.