The Medical Heirachy at MKTH

Hey lovely people,

I hope y'all are good.

So this is not an update, more like an explanation /clarification.

I've gotten lots of questions, of people asking me what the system is in the hospital that is in the book, Mahmud Kangiwa Teaching Hospital. Some people don't understand the way it operates so I will explain it to you.

Okay MKTH uses an American system of operation mainly because they have a lot of foreign investors and the hospital was built long ago on American standards.

There is a chief of surgery that oversees the activities of the hospital.

There are members of the board, this consists of the owners of the hospital(the Kangiwa family), the foreign investors and the chief.

The interns are the first year residents, they are fresh out of medical school and are beginning their training as medical doctors. They are the bottom of the surgical food chain (if you watch greys anatomy 😂😂).

The residents are the doctors who are also in training to choose a specialty that they would practice as attending surgeons. Residency is five years in MKTH,  junior residents are second year residents, senior residents are usually from third to fifth year.

The attendings are licensed practicing medical doctors (either M.D's or D.O's), they all have specialties in which they practice, e.g pediatric surgery, general surgery, cardio thoracic surgery blah blah blah.
The specialty is to be chosen during residency and training on it is part of the requirement for the board exam that would qualify one as a consultant.

Then there are also fellows, who are also residents training in an extra course outside of their hospital or program. A fellowship can be for months or years depending on what its about.

Amani is a third year resident, she got into medical school at an early age. She's leaning towards pediatrics and no its not because of a certain attending😁 she's always been good with kids.

Ali is an attending in Pediatric surgery, he started going into fetal surgery which is still under peds but  deals with fetuses instead of children.
That's like the surgery of fetuses inside the mothers womb, its still a new field. 
He still consults as a peds surgeon though. 

Okay any more questions please ask in the comments or directly to me.

Wow that was a lot of education 😂
Anyway you know I love you for reading.

A huta gajiya,
Cest la vie,
Bon voyage,
Whatever whatever.
Okay I'll go now.