Chapter 8- To Another Chance

Follow me on IG at *the_goldenjournal

Baby when its cold outside
I will keep you warm
Save you from the storm
I will light
A fire that embers bright
Will guide you through the night
When its cold outside.
Light a fire - Rachel Taylor.

*Amani*

It was a bit chilly today, and I was already regretting not going to work yesterday. A soon as I had strode in today looking like I got hit by a tanker, the chief of surgery dropped some serious truth on me, this was the second time in two weeks that I was missing working days with no proper reason and he was giving me his last pardon card, last warning in other words.

I had just changed into my Grey scrubs and labcoat and was on my way to the board, a much needed cup of coffee in hand. Jafar had seen me and ignored me but he was the least of my problems, so I ignored him as well. How mature right?

layla had another fear episode in the middle of the night yesterday, and the day before that, a man who so happened to be my biological father tried to get me married to some rich brat I didn't know about, so yeah my life was pretty messed up.

After getting home that day fury raged through my blood like never before, the nerve of that man. For a few seconds there I thought maybe he wasn't so bad, maybe I could get to know him a little, but now I never wanted to see him again in my life. Who the hell tries to get the daughter you just met to sign some marriage contract, freaking get her married upon just meeting her. Maybe he had a psycho condition and that's why my mother kept him the hell away from me.

And I just had to go looking for trouble when it was hiding. Above all I felt guilty for not telling my mother, so that night we had a long thoughtful and almost tearful late night convo, more like I confronted her about the whole thing with my real dad. She didn't seem surprised that I knew, turns out those night when she came into my room to switch of the lights after I'd dozed of reading, my Google history popped up a few times and I was googling a lot about Abubakar Saleh Kangiwa, trying to find out what he was like, I couldn't help myself at the time.

She apologized for keeping all of it from me and teared up a bit saying she had her very strong reasons she didn't want to talk about. I understood and didn't push it, the whole situation was messed up as it was already.
I kept the fact that I had paid him a visit to myself as the nerves were high that night, but I couldn't stop myself from thinking, why? Was it some kind of joke? Someone you see for the first time and you just go ahead and ask them to basically sign their life to the devil, nothing made even the tiniest bit of sense and confusion was not a feeling I was familiar with nor did I like it at all.

I prayed hard, like I always did when something bothered me. I prayed for Layla as I wasn't going to give up just yet, I prayed until my feet were sore, which I could still feel by the way walking to the Board to see which lucky person I was stuck with today.

You've got to be kidding me, the emergency room, I scowled as I stood in front of the board my eyes drilling holes into it. Now what wicked soul thought I should be even more up on my feet running high tension for the next 20 hours, that's right my shift was a twenty hour shift and someone thought I should do ER duty. I'm just lucky in life, aren't I?

I sighed rubbing my temples, as the headache I walked in with today was increasing a bit.

I walked over to the reception nurse, "Good morning beatrice" I said as cheerily as my mood will allow.

She flashed me a smile, "morning Dr Suleiman, how was your night? "

"I'd just say thank God" I replied reminiscing on the barely three hours of sleep I had.