Chapter 15

Meredith Grey once said, you can have the worst crap in the world happen to you and you can get over it, All you have to do is survive.

Survive. Sounds easy doesn't it, well don't be fooled because its not. The choice to survive whatever crap life throws at us is instinctive, its like that little voice in your head that occasionally pops up with a positive energy telling you that you'll get through. But the actual work that you have to put into coming out alive is were the problem is.

Very few people bring out my vindictive side, one of them I've found to be a certain man whom recently came into my life and began to control everything. Just when I thought, hey maybe he's not so bad, maybe we could establish that father daughter relationship we never had, but right now its a huge hell no.
Maybe its not in my place to be angry at him you may say, I didn't even know I had an older brother, but you'd think after its your fault that your first child died, you'd be walking around eggshells with your second child, but of course that's not the case with him.

I've chosen to focus on the positive things in my life, like laila who is adjusting well in dubai, she's starting therapy and she's doing well because along with actual therapy, retail therapy does wonders as well since she was in a good mood yesterday when we talked, and that was after she spent the whole day shopping from the generous ATM card my father presented her with.

Mama was somewhat happy, probably seeing laila at a fresh start.

Ali and I have fallen into a routine, keeping up the positivity, I'd say that this marriage wasn't as hellish as I thought it would be, we we're civil to each other to say the least, but we behaved like college roommates other than a married couple. Two weeks ago since I read my mother's shocking letter and cried into my husband's chest like a baby, well let's just say that wasn't my best moment but he was there and he didn't pry or judge, he was just there for me until I presumably fell asleep and he left.

And I have been at least chivalrous and gracious to him avoiding any behavior that would suggest that I wanted to be anything but married to him, I mean he was in the same situation, this marriage was sprung on him just as it was on me and he was the one trying to make it work while I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.

Speaking of, I had just heard the front door open, which meant that Ali was back from work, I had gotten off of work a few hours earlier than him so I came home on my own.
I was in the kitchen dressed in yoga pants and a big white t shirt, my hair was lazily sitting on top of my head secured by a pink ruffle, I couldn't have looked worse for a newlywed still in the honeymoon phase, which meant I was supposed to be dressed sexily and wearing makeup and have cooked an elaborate dinner waiting for the arrival of my husband, but I think even he has realized that will not be happening.

"Hey" he said as he leaned against the kitchen door, he was still in his light blue crisp button down t shirt and corporate pants that he had on this morning, his lab coat slung over his shoulder and a few papers and files in hand. he looked exhausted but he had a small smirk on his face like always.

"Hey! how was work?" I asked with a small smile.

Ali proceeded into the kitchen dropping his lab coat, keys, and a few papers and files on the island. I cringed because not only had I just cleaned the counter and had the marble shining but he knew better than to drop a germ factory of a lab coat on the kitchen, but he was tired and he probably had a long day, so I ignored it.

Great this housewife crap was beginning to creep its way into my system.

He opened the fridge and brought out a blue gatorade, popping the bottle open and taking a sip.

"It was hectic today, I had to look through a lot of grant applications for my research funding and look into taking fellowships from residents all over the country, and then I covered the ER for the rest of the day" he said leaning on the counter, he was obviously spent but he looked good as always.