Chapter 4 - To truly Discover

Follow me on IG at *the_goldenjournal

*Flashback*

💮Nine years ago💮

Amani had come back from a tiring day at school, the SS3 stress you would be put under when writing waec was really beginning to get to her. She pushed open the front door of their house to be welcomed by the wonderful smell of food.

"Salaam Alaykum, Mama Na dawo( I'm back)" she said entering the living room to find Halima the house help placing the food warmers on the dinning table.

"Sannu da zuwa Amani( welcome) Ya makaranta( how was school?)" She greeted with a smile that Amani returned.

"Toh Alhamdulillah Halima, Ina Mama take?( where is mama?)" She answered

"Tana dakin ta a sama( she's up in her room)"
Amani smiled and picked up her bag making her way upstairs to greet her mother, she reached the door to her mothers room but stopped when she heard voices that seemed to be arguing. She was about to turn and leave when she recognized the voice, Baba? He was home early from work?

"Don't you see that one way or the other that man is still present causing problems in our lives" she heard Baba's voice through the door."it was a mistake going to him"

"Na sani( I know) amma its not a dead end, there are still other companies out there you can apply" came her mother's reply.

Amani knew she shouldn't eaves drop, especially not on her parents conversations but something was keeping her rooted to that spot, as if she should be there.

"He's a powerful man, I'm sure he's making phone calls to every company I would think of applying to say, hey my ex wife's husband is applying for a loan and be sure not to give it to him" Baba replied his voice getting angrier.

Wait what, ex wife? Mama was never married before or was she, Amani thought as her breath began to quicken upon learning this.

"Calm down the children might be back from school" Mama replied "he wouldn't do that"

"He denied me the loan at his company and promised that I wouldn't get it anywhere else, Ya Allah" Baba sighed.

"He knows, he knows that she's his" he added after sometime.
She could hear Mama gasp from outside the room. "No he doesn't, he can't know I never told him" she replied voice shaky.

"Well he found out somehow, he knows Amani is his daughter not mine"Baba replied.

Amani gasped openly before putting a hand over her mouth, her head was getting light from hearing what she heard, it had to be false there is no way that what she just heard was true. That she was someone else's daughter and not her Baba, the man who she grew up with that loved her and layla so very much.
No this couldn't be true.

"He said that you kept Amani away from her real father all her life and that I helped you, and he would get both of us back for it" he added.

Amani put her hand over her ears. No. No this did not make sense at all. This was not true. In that moment she wanted nothing more than to wakeup and see that it was the middle of the night and she was in a bad dream. But that never happened, instead she listened to her father narrate to her mother all the things that happened that day, how her supposed birth father had denied him a much needed loan because he was angry at them for keeping his daughter from him and that was her. She was that daughter, not that of Alh Suleiman Rabiu that she thought to be her Dad all her life, but the daughter of a real estate business man by the name of Abubakar Saleh kangiwa.

Amani turned on her heels and headed for her room, her feet barely able to carry her as she fell limp on the floor and cried. She cried about the confusion of it all and the millions of other emotions she was feeling.
Hurt. Sadness. Heartbreak. All these jumbled up inside her.