Chapter 12

So guy's after this chapter I'm switching to a narration from my point of view or third person or whatever. There's not going to be an Amani or Ali POV's anymore.

The simple reason is that I write better that way and I'll be able to tell the story with much more emotions like that.
Thank you for your support 😘

Follow me on IG at *the_goldenjournal

*Amani*

When I was in med school, One of my professors always told us that the most important thing in handling emergency situations is to hope for the best while bracing yourself for the worst.

But the most important thing we're taught in the operating room is to break human instinct, while cutting into the body of another human being you somehow have to find a way to not be human, robotic precision is required and the part of us that feels any type of emotion, we have to completely shut off.

How do we do that? You ask, well we don't.

We're still human and we still break down and shatter into a million pieces, only we put ourselves back together as quickly as possible so that people don't die while we're busy being emotional fools.

❇️❇️❇️❇️

"It'll be a quick procedure" I assured the worried looking man in his early sixties who came in yesterday due to severe nausea and stomach bloating, his feet were swollen and he'd been admitted over night to keep his hydration levels up and this morning I received his chart.

"Can you please explain the procedure again?" His wife who was sitting next to his hospital bed looking just as worried asked.

"Of course" I replied "its called a endoscopy, I'll go into his stomach through his mouth with a camera guided instrument to get a tissue sample from the stomach that I'll send to the lab for biopsy, since his scans show a growth in the stomach, I want to know if it's cancerous or just benign." I explained and the woman nodded.

"Okay so he has to undergo surgery for us to know if it's cancer?" She asked again.

"It's a minor surgery, but yes the tissue sample we get from his stomach will be tested and then we'll be sure of our next step" I replied.

She nodded again and squeezed her husband's hand.

"I've scheduled the surgery for later this afternoon, I'll be performing it myself and I'll send a nurse to prepare you" I told them as I typed in their surgery details on the tablet I was holding.
"We'll take good care of you sir" I added with a smile before I left them to themselves and to continue my work.

I walked down the Halls of the VIP recovery unit my heart pounding with each step, the last time I saw Layla was this morning when Mama had gone home to rest and come back, she needed it as her eyes were puffed up and red from crying.

I still had not cried.

I couldn't, I was holding onto the last string keeping me together, I couldn't let it snap, it might just take my sanity with it.

Alhaji kangiwa and his wife were also here to see how Layla was doing, they had somehow managed to get the guests to leave later without anyone asking any questions about the sudden disappearance of the bride and groom, I was beginning to get an impression that members of the kangiwa family didn't really pry into each other's lives, which was a Good thing anyway.

They had also left to get some rest.

I pushed open the door to the very lush hospital room Layla had been admitted in, Alhaji kangiwa insisted that she be treated like VIP because apparently she was a part of his family, his family that owned the hospital he pointed out so many times.