Chapter 19

Follow me on IG at *the_goldenjournal

*Third Person*

William Shakespeare had once said that expectation is the root of all heartache. Well he was right.

White Roses?  it was their little secret. She remembered how he got them for her the other day when he'd upset her by ignoring her.

She thought about how she'd always found it  thoughtful of him to replace the flowers when they died, but now she knew he wasn't doing it for her, he was doing it because they reminded him of someone else someone he loved.

Had she been the reason they'd separated? Had this marriage cost Ali his love? Her head began to spin as she thought of all these questions, her heart constricted at the thought of him with another woman, but why would it? Why should she feel heartache because he loved or still loves someone else. She didn't love him that was a no brainer, but then why was she feeling nauseous all of a sudden and light headed thinking about him with someone else.

A feeling of betrayal brewed violently in her stomach, the letter said that he'd called whoever his lover yesterday. The same yesterday that he'd asked her to stay with him.

Morning came faster than expected as she spent the rest of the day cooped up in her closet with a textbook about non communicable diseases that she couldn't concentrate on. Ali had tried to get her to come down for dinner but she simply refused saying that she wasn't hungry and had a headache. She needed the space to think for a while and after that came up with the decision that she wasn't going confront him about it, she was positive that she could just sweep it under the rug.

The following week she put on a smile and pretended as if nothing had happened, she smiled and laughed and kept up the facade for as long as she could until the weekend came around and all that she'd pushed to the bottom boiled over and she could no longer hide her anger and resentment towards Ali, she became stone cold and only talked to him when absolutely necessary, staying away from him completely for as long as the weekend lasted.

she left for work earlier than usual in a Uber ride and went back home in it as well, Ali hated when she used Uber and he tried to get her to go with him or use one of his cars but she refused, She could sense his agitation towards the way she'd been acting, but she couldn't bring herself to continue pretending that everything was okay when she couldn't stop thinking about the fact that he had a girlfriend/lover/affair/mother of his hypothetical children type of situation outside of their home.

It was too much and she needed the space because the house was beginning to suffocate her.

So since arriving at the hospital she began at the emergency room, the ER was so busy that it would surely take her mind of everything, ironically she was on Ali's service today and she was taking the time to relax within the chaotic environment of the ER before he came in and began for the day.

"okay seriously you need to relax, I'm worried about your patients" Diana whispered and Amani gritted her teeth.

"Thank you for your faith in my medical skills Dee" she replied sarcastically.

"You know that's not what I meant, its just you've been on edge I can see it, take a few minutes to yourself I'll cover for you"

"I'm fine Diana" Amani replied and scurried away, and just on cue her pager began to beep with the numbers telling her that her husband was paging her to the pediatrics ward. He'd arrived.

Amani sucked in two large puffs of air and exhaled closing her eyes for a brief moment before she made her way to the ward.

×××××