14

I kept my smile on as Claire and I went to her room to have our make-up retouched. My heart was aching.

"The dance was fun!" She exclaimed.

I nodded and smiled, "Yeah, it was fun twirling a lot and being lifted to the air."

She giggled, "Yeah I had fun in that part too. Zeke has strong arms."

I smiled, Yeah, I know. I've danced with him a million times.

"I believe he got it from his father. Despite his age, he was still strong." I commented.

"Who do you think he got his personality from?" She asked.

"Defunitely not his father." I said and laughed, "His father is too nice!"

Claire raised her eyebrow, "But Zeke is nice too, you know?"

It was my turn to raise my eyebrow, "I know he's nice, but his father is nicer. Besides, hasn't he teased you yet?"

She shook her head and smiled dreamily, "He's always nice to me."

I almost scoffed. Sure he was nice to me in some cases but most of the time we'd be teasing each other or arguing.

"He's a real gentleman." She commented.

I nodded, "Yeah. Now that we're not sweaty and icky, let's go to the Dining hall, shall we?"

We walked to the hall and every Selected was there and the royal family was not. There was yet another empty seat, Aisha's former seat. Claire's side moved to cover the empty space.

When the royals came, we all stood up and curtsied. King Francis took an empty seat and he was beside William.

"Ladies, this is King Francis of Italy. He will be our guest for today until the party. He is Princess Celestiana's father. Her family will be here on the day of the event." The Queen announced.

We ate after her announcement.

"Lady Louise, I apologize for not taking you on that promised date. Can we move that on the day after the party?" Tony asked.

Louise smiled, "Of course, Your majesty."

"I'll come to your room in the afternoon. Lady Julianne, Lady Christine, and Lady Harriet. I'll have to move our dates too. Will it be okay if I move it to two days after the event? I'll be preoccupied tomorrow."

"It would be okay, Prince Thornton." Harriet replied.

"Of course, Your highness." Julianne replied.

Christine nodded. Tony smiled at their responses. We'll be practicing the whole day tomorrow. No one would notice us gone because they arranged a special dancing lesson in their own rooms.

"Tomorrow, there will be instructors sent to each of your rooms and they will teach you the dance." Tony announced.

There was silence again after that. I finished my dinner early so I stood up and curtsied, "Excuse me."

The Queen nodded and so I left. I went to my room and jumped at the bed. My bed wasn't as comfortable as the one in the Princess suite, but who was I to complain?

I sighed into my pillows. My mood has not improved and I don't know how to stay optimistic. Before the Selection began, I thought that the girls coming in the palace would be my friends and everyone would be nice. I told myself that it wouldn't be a competition. I told myself that Tony and I could still hang out. I told myself that the noise would be comforting. I told myself I'd act like I didn't know the prince. I told myself that whatever happens and whoever Tony chooses would be fine with me.