21

I sat back down on my seat in our table to rest after dancing. Grabbing the glass of juice, I sipped and observed the guests. Everybody was happyㅡexcept for the other selected who were glaring at either me for dancing with Tony or Christine for dancing with Tony right nowㅡand so was I.

Christine looked happy dancing with him but Irene, Gayle, Isabella, and Carmel certainly did not. Irene and Gayle were complaining and just looked furious. Isabella could kill Christine with her eyes. Carmel was down on a chair with her arms and legs crossed. The other selected weren't any better, they were either trying to get his attention or talking behind their backs.

Claire and Julianne were talking with Grace. Harriet was talking to Aino and Aimo. And I was alone, sitting on a chair, observing everyone.

"Hello there."

I jumped a little at my seat, my body stiffened. I looked at my right where the voice came from, "G-Good evening, sir."

He smiled, "Sorry for startling you."

I relaxed and smiled, "It's alright."

"I'm Earl." He said.

"I'm Haidee." I said. "No offense, but why are you here?"

"I'm the son of Aunt Eadlyn's friend, Josie Woodwork. She's not a Woodwork now."

I nodded, "But that wasn't what I meant. I meant why are you here talking to me?"

"You're one of the Selected, right?" He asked and I nodded. "I want to know my best friend's future wife. I've talked to almost every Selected."

"I didn't know he had a best friend." I said.

"I come to the palace rarely but even with the distance, we still remain what we are."

The music ended and Tony led Christine back to a seat.

Earl cleared his throat and stood. He walked in front of me and offered a hand, "May I have this dance?"

I smiled, "Sure."

He led me to the dance floor where Tony was dancing with Isabella. She had a smug smirk as she glanced at me, clearly bragging. I almost rolled my eyes but I held it in.

"You can show your displeasure with the other girls with me." He said, "I know that the others can be annoying."

I sighed, "It annoys me that the other girls brag about what they've been doing with the Prince. I mean, can't they just keep it in?"

He laughed, "I know what you mean. Some even suck up to me when I said that I was his best friend." He shook his head, "You were the only one who doubted it."

I turned slightly red out of embarrassment, "I'm sorry. I just really didn't know."

He smiled, "It's okay."

I was really curious about who he favored the most out of us, but it would seem as if I was desperate.

"So, I just realized. You were the girl that William was describing in one of The Reports right? Blonde hair, brown eyes."

I was shocked but I didn't show it, "No, I'm not."

He turned his head to the side innocently, "Really?"

I nodded.

He smirked and put his mouth to my ear, "I know about Celestiana and William's secret relationship." He whispered.

My eyes widened. I'm so stupid. He was his best friend. Of course he would know!

"What does that have to do with that?" I asked.