39

Mom, Dad, Aimo, Chantelle and 40 other officers died. Diana, Adalene, and 38 officers were injured.

Today was their burial. I cried my heart out as they lowered their coffins to the ground. I hugged Celestiana as I watched them being brought down. Celestiana was crying, Tony and William were holding back tears, Chantrel was screaming for his dead twin to wake up. Aino was doing the same.

"Haidee," Claire called, her voice hoarse.

I released my hug from Celestiana and hugged Claire who had tear-stricken cheeks. Julianne appeared beside us and joined the hug.

We grieved for the dead, We grieved for the kingdom, and we grieved for our lost friends.

"I can't believe this." Claire stated.

"Me neither," Julianne said, "They betrayed us."

After the ceremony, I locked myself in my room. My mind replayed the sight of Mom and Dad dead. My brain won't let me forget it.

My maids didn't talk to me and I appreciated it. They just hugged me and said comforting words when we got back from the disaster reception.

Bloom was re-entered in the competition. I never talked to her since that day. The only people I talk to id Julianne, Claire, and Louise. I haven't talked to Tony since he was being prepared for being the king. He was also being rushed to marry one of us.

William stayed for a while to help his brother. Celestiana stayed to be with us.

It's been three days after the reception. I haven't been outside the palace ever since. The guards won't let me but it's not like I want to.

"Haidee," Georgia called.

I didn't respond.

"You need to attend dinner," She said.

I shook my head, "I don't want to."

"The prince has an announcement," She said, "Everyone's required to go."

I sighed and got up from my bed. If it was already dinner time, then I spent the whole afternoon thinking and moping? Nothing new.

Georgia helped me out of my dress. Hannah prepared the make-up. Vivianne gave me a dress which was black.

Everyone was wearing black. Except for Harriet, Christine, and Bloom. They always wore bright colors.

When they were done fixing me, I was dressed in a long black gown and my hair was down in curls.

I entered the Hall and curtsied to Tony and William. William looked at me with sad eyes I returned it with a sad smile. Tony didn't look at me, he just stared at his food.

I sat down beside Celestiana who was glum and pushing her food around. I imitated her, not really wanting to eat.

Christine entered with Bloom and Harriet on her side wearing a bright yellow long gown. Harriet wore a blush pink gown and Bloom wore a pastel blue gown.

I stopped staring at Bloom's dress. I hate blue. Everytime I look at it, it suddenly turns red.

Claire and Julianne were silently eating. Grace, Abigail, Abraham, Nicholas, Earl, Aino, Adalene, Beall, Chantrel, Aunt Camille, Uncle Ahren, Queen Olympia, King Francis, Francisco, Cara, Abrianna, and the rest of the guests all left after the ceremony. The only ones in the palace now was me, Tony, William, Celestiana, Claire, Julianne, Louise, Diana, Bloom, Harriet, and Christine.

Tony stood abruptly, "Everyone, I have an announcement to make. Since my mother and father were murdered, I am now ascending to the throne. Along with the throne, I need a wife. So, I will be making eliminations tonight. I will come to your rooms and tell you whether you will stay or if you won't. That would be all."

I stood up and excused myself from dinner. I didn't want to eat.

"Dee," Tony called.

I stopped in my tracks and looked back at him, "Yes?"

"Let's talk," He said and pulled me away.

We stopped in front of his office. He suddenly pulled me into a hug. I was startled but I embtaced him.

"I missed you," He stated.

"I missed you too," I say truthfully.

"I've been so busy that I can't talk to you. Everyone's been pressuring me to do this do that make a decision for this and that and Gabrielㅡ"

"Shh," I told him and patted his back, "It's okay. Let it all out."

He cried in my arms and I just hugged him tightly, tears of my own falling.

"I wish my mom was here to tell me what to do," He said.

"I wish you didn't have to suffer on your own. I wish I could take half of your suffering for myself," I told him and patted his back.

He pulled away and looked at my eyes. His eyes were still producing tears as he touched my face. I held his hand that was on my face.

"That's what's wrong," He said, "I don't want you to suffer."

"But I'd want to if it meant lessening yours," I told him truthfully.

He smiled sadly and started bringing my face up. He moved his face closer to mine and my eyes shut close. His soft lips met mine. Our tears were mixing but I didn't care.

We broke the kiss and I gave him a small smile.

"I love you, Haidee. Always remember that."

I was startled but I smiled, "I love you too."

He smiled sadly and hugged me again, "And because I love you, I need to let you go."

"What?" I asked him in confusion.

He looked at the ground, "I have to let you go. I'm doing this for you."

I was astonished by his statement. He said he loved me and that's why he's letting me go?

"Is it because of the rebels?" I asked him, new tears in my eyes, "I can handle them! I'm strong, Tony."

He pursed his lips and I saw hurt in his eyes, "I know you're strong, Dee. But I'm doing this for your own good."

I looked at the ceiling to prevent more tears from falling. I failed drastically, "Why are you doing this?"

"I'm sorry." He said.

I looked back at him. He didn't dare meet my eyes. I could hear my heart breaking, "Okay."

"Dee, I'm sorryㅡ" He said and looked at me with the saddest eyes I've seen.

The dream came true. Again.

I shook my head, "No, It's okay. I understand." I took a deep breath to continue speaking, "I know you have duties to fulfill. I'll leave in the morning, or better yet, tonight." Breathe, Haidee. Leaving won't end your life, "Goodnight, Prince Thornton." I gave him a final curtsy and left to my room.

I packed my things as I cried. They told me he would choose me. How could they be so wrong?

Mom,

I wish you were here. Everything's messed up.

I placed my things in my back pack. I wasn't angry at him. I was hurt. He loves me, I love him. What's wrong with that?

When I finished packing, I left my room and went to the gates. There was a guard stationed there. He seemed to understand what I was doing but he double checked me to see who I was.

"Lady Haidee?" He asked.

I nodded. He still looked confused. He was yet another person who believed that I would win.

The limo arrived and I got inside. My tears were still falling as I left.

------------

BOOK 1 FINISHED! BOOK 2 is cominggggg

Thank you for your support!