eight

Marci gnawed at the inside of her lip as she followed Steve, Sam and Maria down a hall of the Triskelion

Marci gnawed at the inside of her lip as she followed Steve, Sam and Maria down a hall of the Triskelion. Her combat boots clicked as they hit the hard floors, she remained focused on the constant noise attempting to keep herself calm. As they approached the door to the maintenance room, Steve turned back to face her. "Would you like to do the honors?" The star spangled man with a plan asked her. She released a deep breath and nodded. A fellow rogue agent who had jammed the signals of the tech workers, counted down in their ears warning them of potential incoming hostiles.

"Three," Marci crossed her forearms creating an X. "Two," She staggered her feet taking a defensive stance. "Now," The door swung open and Marci's powers manifested itself within her hands. The man who had opened their door stood in front of the four wide eyed, both Maria and Sam also had a defensive demeanor, aiming their weapons at the mans chest.

"Excuse us," Steve spoke, a semi cocky tone laced his words. The man followed his orders, sidestepping as he rose his hands in the air in surrender. The four walked past the other tech workers, none of them having much of an issue with their intrusion. They followed Maria as she led them to the side of the room instructing them to sit still and stay silent, and Steve slowly glanced at the technology board. As soon as he found what he was looking for he glanced to Sam who gave him a reassuring nod, Marci smiled at the pairs comradery. 

Steve pressed down the button allowing him access to the speaker that played throughout the entire facility. "Attention all SHIELD agents," He began. "This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth," He paused trying to think of the correct wording.  "SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

Marci smiled as Steve completed his speech, a sense of unity washed through her and she was, for once since leaving Fury's secret base, no longer afraid of the outcome.

Sam stepped forward towards Steve a sly grin playing on his lips. "Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" A smile made its way to Steve's face and he shrugged nonchalantly.

Marci smiled at the pair glancing outside through the large glass window, amazed with what she saw. "Uh, guys," She uttered in confusion. The pools along the edges of the building began to bubble and within seconds large Helicarriers began to rise. Sam and Steve hurried their way over to the viewing area, taking it all in for themselves.