eleven

Steve and Sam left four weeks ago to begin their search for Bucky and other operating HYDRA bases. Sam called once telling her that they reached a dead end in Panama, she hasn't heard anything since.

It was a Tuesday night, Marci was in her bathroom, wearing nothing but a sports bra and spandex, she ran her fingers over the new scar tissue created by the bullet wounds and from the surgery that saved her life. As she stood in front of the mirror memories of that day kept replaying over and over in her mind. Up until then Marci's life had changed for the better. She could sleep eight hours at night. Her powers were under her control. She was genuinely happy. But all that changed. She hasn't been able to sleep more than a few hours in weeks, waking up after seeing his face in her nightmares. Her powers manifesting as she tried to defend herself in her dreams ruining more of her bed sheets. Now, while asleep and wide awake, she wore fire resistant gloves on her hands just to be safe.

The worst part was that she knew it wasn't his fault. Barnes had no control of his actions. He was following the orders HYDRA gave him. But he was the one who almost completed the mission, she had never been so close to death before.

Death scared her.

Her powers scared her.

And in this moment, he scared her.

Marci wished it could all got back to normal, but at this point in her life she wasn't quite sure what her normal was. Marci's shoulders raised and fell as a heavy sigh erupted from within her body. Her arm reached out to the counter grabbing her shirt and her gloves. As she left the bathroom she slipped it over her head and onto her body. Her house was dark, after all it was almost midnight, so she stealthily made her way to the the kitchen. She rounded the corner turning the lights on as she entered the room, her eyes landed on a figure lurking in the corner.

It was him.

It was the Winter Soldier.

Marci's eyes widen and her heart rate quickened. Her feet began to move without her knowledge, her back slammed against the adjacent wall. "W-What do you want?" Her voice was quiet and laced with trepidation. Her gloves fell the floor, her hands reminded cool but her hair began to emit a small amount of smoke.

Bucky stepped away from the shadow he had been hiding in, but he didn't say anything. His lips were pressed together tightly in a line, but his eyes were soft. A feeling of guilt washed over him as he saw how fearful she was of him. He hated it.

Tears began to well in Marci's eyes, her head shook as she tried to keep them back. "If you're here to kill me, just do it already."

"I'm not here to kill you," His voice was different than she remember. There was less hostility, more compassion. Marci's head turned to face him, she noticed that he wasn't visibly armed. "I've met you before," he stated.

Marci's brows furrowed. "I know," she was confused. "On the bridge.. And at the Triskelion."

"Before that." Marci took a step away from the wall, a step closer towards him.

"What are you talking about?"

"It was a long time ago, you were just a kid then. She called you, Sophia then but that's not what they call you now."

"What?" Marci's voice came out barely above a whisper, but he easily heard her. "Who?"

"I don't know her name, not her real name," He began. "They called her the doctor though. And I think-," he paused fearful of what Marci's reaction would be. "I think she was your mother."

"You're lying." Marci scoffed, she took a few steps closer to him. "You've already ruined my life, why can't you just leave me alone! Get out of my house! Get out!" Marci had never felt such rage in her life. And why her rage, came her fiery blaze that erupted throughout her body. But Bucky didn't move.

"Don't you wonder why you can do that?"

"I know why," Marci was confident is her reasoning. "I was cursed with-, with this," she raised her flaming hands out in front of herself. "When I was nearly killed with an IED."

"No," Bucky shock his head. Marci's flames subsided. "That's what triggered it. You can do that because they experimented on you, altered your genetic code. Just like they did to me, and so many others."

"James," his name felt foreign leaving her lips. In her mind she always dehumanized him by only allowing herself to call him by the Winter Soldier. "Who is they?" She stepped closer to him, so they were standing opposite of each other around her kitchens island.

Their eyes were locked on each other as he spoke, "I think you already know that's answer."

"Say it," she demanded.

"Your mother," his words hurt nothing felt as painful as the next blow. "And HYDRA."

____
Happy Thanksgiving! So thankful for all you guys who comment and vote on not only this story but my others as well! Thank you for the support(: